THE Chief of Army Staff, Lietenant-General Tukur Buratai, on Tuesday, said due process was followed concerning the retirement of 38 senior officers last month, but added that anyone who feels aggrieved could go to court.
“Some of them had written, complaining on the retirement, but the army legal department is looking into such complaints,” he said.
This was as he declared that no place or territory was being held by the Boko Haram terrorists
Speaking at a news conference to herald the 2016 Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) in Abuja, the Army Chief disclosed that right now, intelligence reports available to them indicated that the terrorists were now moving to other areas outside Nigeria, as the territory was no longer conducive or safe for them
He said the Air Force and the Army were still carrying out air and land patrol, but the people were still afraid to go back to their original homes of abode, adding that this was where the government needed to come in to give them reassurance that all was well.
Speaking on the alleged property in Dubai, the Army Chief noted that this was another ploy to distract and divert attention, adding that the military had already defeated the terrorists and insurgency on the land, and they had migrated to the cybespace, adding that they would follow them to that cybespace and defeat them.
“The terrorists have been defeated and they are not holding any territory, as you know.
“Borno State has a vast area of land and some people held captive are now coming out, as the terrorists are now finding it difficult to sustain themselves, not to talk of those being held captive, as we have blocked all the areas.”
On the Chibok girls, the Army Chief noted that two of them were rescued and they were all abducted from Chibok. It is unfortunate that the issue of Chibok girls had been politicised, because anybody we rescue is as important as the Chibok girls.
According to him, we were still searching and working on any available piece of information and would not relent until we rescue all of them if still alive.
On the alleged coup rumour, the Army Chief said they were investigating the matter to find out the source of rumour and it was in the best interest of the national security that they properly investigate rumour.
Also on the issue of refurbished equipment being given to troops in the North-East to fight the terrorists, he said it was part of the campaign of calumny.
“I am highly concerned about doing the right thing and I cannot deviate from it.
“We will not be distracted by the terrorists propaganda, as we will continue to defeat them, both on the land and in the cybespace,” he said.
He disclosed that the Army had commenced the rotation of troops in the North-East, as they have already rotated four units and another battalion was soon to follow, adding that the morale of the troops was high.
The Army Chief added that Army uses the NADCEL week which terminates on July 6 of every year, to reflect on its performance in the previous year, for more effective projections and performance in the following year.
He noted that this was usually premised on the lessons drawn from the activities of the previous year in pursuant of the Nigeria Army’s responsibility of maintaining and defending the territorial integrity of Nigeria, as well as safe guarding lives and property of its citizenry.
Buratai said the theme for this year’s NADCEL is “Optimising the capability of the Nigerian Army to meet contemporary security challenges.”