No fewer than 50 houses and shops were affected in a fire incident that occurred at Makoko Community in Lagos State. The fire incident has rendered occupants of the affected buildings homeless.
Some of the victims said that they passed the night at the scene of the fire incident but hardly find shelter whenever it rains.
“Our houses were gutted by fire. We don’t have any house for now. We are sleeping on the site (of the fire incident). When it rains, we have difficulty. Some of us are also accommodated by relatives and friends. We want the government to help us,” one of the affected occupants told our correspondent on the telephone.
The Chairman, Yaba Local Council Development Association, Kayode Omiyale, confirmed the incident on Friday.
He attributed the cause of the fire to an electrical spark, noting that no life was lost in the fire incident that started late on Tuesday and extended to Wednesday morning.
Omiyale empathised with victims of the inferno, adding that a relief committee had been set up.
During his visit to the scene of the fire accident, the chairman said, “The incidence was attributed to an electrical spark which was said to have emanated from a building and negatively affected almost 50 houses and shops.
“We should imbibe the habit of switching off of electrical appliances during a power outage. If this had been done we may not be here on this note. Let’s try as much as possible to have lesser electrical appliances plugged in a power extension box that is not wired for much capacity, we cannot be too careful on safety and security of life and property.”
He also assured the victims that government has no aim to take possession of the area.