• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

N1.04tn fine: MTN Withdraws Suit Against NCC, AGF

by ReportersAtLarge
March 19, 2016
in News, Science & Technology
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
mtn logo
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

MTN Nigeria, on Friday withdrew the suit it filed to challenge the N1.04tn fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communications Commission.

The NCC had fined MTN N1.04tn for failure to deactivate its unregistered subscribers.

But MTN headed for court to challenge the decision, saying it was not given fair hearing.

Besides, it contended that NCC could not rely on Section 70 of its establishment Act to sanction it.

However, on January 22, counsel for MTN, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), told Justice Mohammed Idris that parties were making moves to settle the matter out of court.

RelatedPosts

Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

Olanipekun urged the judge to give them 60 days to explore out-of-court settlement.

But the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), who was sued as the 2nd defendant, told the court, through his lawyer, Mr. Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), that parties had been finding it difficult to settle out of court.

Okpeseyi had urged the court to take it that all the court papers in the matter had been properly filed and served and that the case was still ongoing.

The judge, while adjourning, had said the parties would either return to give the report of settlement or for hearing to commence.

At the resumed proceedings on Friday, Olanipekun told the judge that his client was finally withdrawing the suit, the parties having settled.

Neither Okpeseyi nor the counsel for NCC, Mr. Yusuf Ali (SAN), opposed the application.

Justice Idris consequently struck out the suit.

The judge had on January 12, 2016 turned down an application of mareva injunction by the AGF seeking to bar MTN from emptying its accounts in 21 commercial banks in Nigeria, in order not to boycott the N1.04tn fine.

The AGF had expressed the fear that MTN could move all its funds out of the country before the N1.04tn fine could be enforced.

He had sought an order directing all the 21 banks to open a special interest-yielding account in the name of the Chief Registrar of the Federal High Court and move N1.04tn into it from MTN’s accounts.

But in refusing the application, Justice Idris said the AGF did not place enough material facts before the court to prove that MTN was making any moves to repatriate all its funds out of Nigeria.

Tags: AGFMTNMTN NigeriaNigerianigeria tele commsSuit Against NCCtelecommunications company
SendShare2TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives
News

Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

by ReportersAtLarge
August 30, 2025
0

The Michael Kolawole Omotosho (MKO) Foundation has officially launched a series of empowerment initiatives designed to transform the lives of...

Read moreDetails
The Bible Society of Nigeria
News

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

by ReportersAtLarge
August 29, 2025
0

The Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) has urged for inclusion of Nigerian youths in governance and policy making, saying their...

Read moreDetails
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

China

China Launches It’s First Cargo Spaceship

8 years ago
Edo-election delegates

Ekiti Poll: Tribunal Grants APC Order To Inspect Election Materials

7 years ago

Popular News

  • Prince Adeyinka Afonja CEO of Ace Mall

    Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award August 30, 2025
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives August 30, 2025
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
March 2016
SMTWTFS
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031 
« Jan   Apr »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights