• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Electricity Tarrif Increase: No Going Back —FG

by ReportersAtLarge
June 1, 2016
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Babatunde-raji-fashola

Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Federal Government, on Tuesday, insisted that there was no going back on the recently approved 45 per cent increase on electricity tariffs.

Minister of Power, Works And Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, who spoke on behalf of the government while appearing before the Joint Senate Committee in Power, Employment, Labour and Productivity, said that any attempt to reverse the 45 per cent increment would spell doom for the power sector.

Fashola, who was accompanied to the public hearing by the acting chairman, Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr Anthony Akah, further insisted that available facts at the government’s disposal showed that we heard that adequate consultations were made among the stakeholders before the NERC approved the increment.

He also said that it was hasty to condemn the power privatisation process consummated under the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan in 2013.

He also denied insinuations that the Federal Government was over defending the 45 per cent tariff regime, adding that the variables in the power value chain were all critically examined before the increment was announced.

RelatedPosts

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

Fashola also said that the current power crisis being experienced in the country was attributable to activities of some militants, whom he said were carrying out economic sabotage.

The minister said: “Let me say again with all relevances and for the purpose of those who will benefit from this public hearing, that today, there is no PHCN anymore and we must migrate, because we have moved on from it.

“As minister, I inherited a power sector, where government’s interest had been illegally sold and, therefore, I don’t control how power is distributed, I don’t control how power is generated, as it was possible to do in the past.

“They are now largely private businesses, except those where government now has some minority shares and so, government is now minority shareholder in businesses where it was majority shareholder and we can only exercise collaborative pressure to get things done, but things must be done now on a commercial basis.

“Government’s control is limited and it is largely exercising regulatory activities through the NERC, which sets the tariff; so my interventions here would be largely to express why I support what NERC has done and to help amplify my understanding of it.

“The DISCOS were making it very clear to us that if we did not give them the market reflective tariff; it means that government would have to carry the continuing cost that accumulated in the region of about a trillion naira.”

According to him, the reversal carried out in 2015 in the sector was mainly for political reasons, adding that the decision significantly increased the nation’s debt in the sector.

He added: “We are not insensitive to Nigerians owing to their challenges. We are looking for the best way to solve what had become an over 60 years problem, since 1950, when Electricity Company of Nigeria was first created.

“One of the reasons it (tariff) has to go up was that a major component, a significant number of our power plant depends on gas. Out of about 26 power plants we have, only about three are hydro.

“We were heavily dependent on gas, people were exporting gas because gas was selling outside the country at $4 and it was selling for domestic use at $1. Government reviewed that price to a total of $3.”

Acting NERC chairman, who also spoke before the Senate Joint Committee, said a painstaking process was embarked upon by the commission before decisions were taken.

He also said that the Labour unions, including the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), were involved in the negotiations that led to the increment.

Representatives of the TUC and the Comrade Joe Ajaero-led NLC, Comrade Chris Okonkwo, however, submitted that the nation’s electricity supply was better off before the tariff hike than now.

Many of the lawmakers, who also spoke at the hearing, said that the power situation in the country was lamentable, as they also asked the government to desist from protecting the power firms.

They also asked minister and heads of agencies to rise to the challenge by restoring the people’s confidence in the power sector.

Tags: BuhariBuhari AdministrationElectricity Tariff IncreaseFasholaNigeriaNigerian news
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

News

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

by ReportersAtLarge
August 29, 2025
0

The Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) has urged for inclusion of Nigerian youths in governance and policy making, saying their...

Read moreDetails
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Nigerian Passport for South Africa Visa
News

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

The Nigeria Immigration Service has announced an upward review of the cost of obtaining the Nigerian Standard Passport, effective September...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Fulfil Your Promises, Reposition Oyo, Ladoja Tells Makinde

6 years ago
Netflix, KPMG, PwC, AMEX cut ties with Russia

Netflix, KPMG, PwC, AMEX Cut Ties With Russia

3 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
June 2016
SMTWTFS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
« May   Jul »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights