• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Nigeria Ready To Evacuate Migrants In Libya

by ReportersAtLarge
November 29, 2017
in Featured, News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Muhammadu Buhari on re-election

Muhammadu Buhari

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari, Thursday, in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, flayed the issue of allegations that hundreds of African refugees and migrants were being bought and sold in modern-day slave markets, and promised to evacuate Nigerian migrants in Libya

He added that his administration would do everything humanly possible to make the country conducive to discourage youths from embarking on the journey and risking their lives.

Buhari said fixing security as well as providing other critical infrastructure would reduce the chances of people taking the risk and ending up in the Mediterranean Sea.

In a swift reaction to the pledge to evacuate the remaining Nigerians stranded in Libya, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo convened a meeting of relevant agencies in Abuja to address the situation.

Those in attendance were the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Refugee Commission. They met at the State House, Abuja to jointly review the situation with intent to taking a firm position on the matter.

RelatedPosts

Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

In his opening remark before the meeting went into closed door, Osinbajo recalled the comment of the president at the interactive session with the Nigerian community in Abidjan that all those stranded in the hostile country would be given an opportunity to return to home.

He reiterated the commitment of Buhari’s administration to ensure that young Nigerian men and ladies were no longer exposed to the danger involved in wandering through the Sahara Desert and eventual attempt to cross the sea.

While recalling a CNN report that some of the victims were being sold in Libya, Osinbajo said it was necessary to brainstorm on the matter with a view to coming up with a well prepared position on how to tackle the menace.

Most of the Speakers at the opening of the fifth European Union-African Union (EU-AU) Summit, had condemned the disturbing images coming out of Libya and urged both continents to work together to halt the ugly trend.

Meanwhile, the Senate has told the Federal Government to immediately investigate the number of Nigerians that have so far been affected in the Libyan slavery auctions.

It equally urged the government to kickstart the process of repatriation and rehabilitation of victims of the human rights abuses in the North African country.

The resolution followed the adoption of a motion on “Urgent need to protect Nigerian citizens from the Libyan slavery auctions” raised by Baba Kaka Garbai (Borno Central).

Garbai in his lead debate observed with dismay, the report of slave markets at various locations in Libya, where Africans and mostly Nigerians were being auctioned as slaves, priced as merchandise and sold off like animals.

The lawmaker said he was sad to observe an online video which exposed the sale of 12 Nigerians for prices ranging between $400 and $800.

He noted with concern that the stone-age, inhuman and barbaric act was going on in the 21 century.

Similarly, the House of Representatives called on the Federal Government to urgently liaise with the Libyan government with the aim of curbing illegal immigration and the sale of Nigerians as slaves.

The House also mandated its committees on Foreign Relations and Human Rights to interface with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant stakeholders to identify factors that makes youths desperate enough to resort to illegal immigration despite the risk.

The joint committee, which is to report back to the House in four weeks was equally directed to come up with recommendations on how stranded Nigerian migrants could be repatriated.

The decision of the House followed the adoption of a motion entitled: “Need to investigate the inhuman and barbaric acts of slave trade involving the auctioning of Black Africans in Libya.” sponsored by Saheed Fijabi.

Leading the debate, Fijabi wondered why slave trade has been re-introduced over 200 years ago after it was abolished.

In her contribution, Nnena Elendu-Ukeje informed the House that the Federal Government had seen to the safe return of 234 Nigerians from Libya.

Looking beyond recent reports from the North-African country, Ukeje who heads the Foreign Relations committee said so far, the National Agency for prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has brought 3000 Nigerians back home.

Tags: BuhariLibyaNigeriaNigerians
SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives
News

Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

by ReportersAtLarge
August 30, 2025
0

The Michael Kolawole Omotosho (MKO) Foundation has officially launched a series of empowerment initiatives designed to transform the lives of...

Read moreDetails
The Bible Society of Nigeria
News

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

by ReportersAtLarge
August 29, 2025
0

The Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) has urged for inclusion of Nigerian youths in governance and policy making, saying their...

Read moreDetails
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Shipwrecks Off Tunisia, Western Sahara - boat

16 Dead, Dozens Missing In Shipwrecks Off Tunisia, Western Sahara

2 years ago
Boko Haram

Tension As Boko Haram Jihadists Kill 14 Farmers In Northeast Nigeria

5 years ago

Popular News

  • Prince Adeyinka Afonja CEO of Ace Mall

    Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award August 30, 2025
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives August 30, 2025
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
November 2017
SMTWTFS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
« Oct   Dec »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights