• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

NERC Denies Increase In Electricity Tariff – NERC

by ReportersAtLarge
January 6, 2020
in News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
NERC
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) on Monday denied the upward review in its Multi-Year Tariff (MYTO) dated 31st December 2019.

The Chairman, Prof. James Momoh said that there is no immediate tariff increase for customers.

The order which its reports went virile in both conventional and social media was titled: Titled: “NERC in the matter of the December 2019 minor review Multi-Year Tariff Order (MYTO) for Abuja Electricity Distribution Company Plc”, in the case of the AEDC.

The commission said that “this order supersedes other orders issued on the subject matter, and shall take effect from 1st January 2020 and shall have effect on the issuance of a new Minor Review Order or an Extraordinary Tariff Review Order by the NERC.”

According to the order, “the Federal Government’s updated Power Sector Recovery Program does not envisage an immediate increase in end-user tariffs until 1st April 2020 and a transition to full cost reflectivity by end of 2021.

RelatedPosts

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

“In the interim, the Federal Government has committed to funding the revenue gap arising from the difference between cost-reflective tariffs determined by the commission and the actual end-user tariffs payable by customers in line with the …”

The reporters that concluded that the commission had already done its consultation before giving the above timelines were surprised when Momoh said otherwise in Abuja on Monday.

Meanwhile, the commission was expecting journalists that attended its pre-conference press conference on the 11th edition of the International Conference on Energy, Power Systems Operations and Planning (ICEPSOP), an initiative of the Howard University U.S.A with sponsorship from the National Science Foundation (NSF) of the United States of America it is organizing and hosting in Abuja, to restrict themselves to the business of the day was taken aback by the reporters’ insistence on the clarifications on the MYTO review.

Reacting to the review, he said that “There is no immediate increase in tariff for customers.”

Momoh, however, insisted that the review was the main mandate that the commission statutorily carries out every six months.

The widely reported order, according to him, was only a review that is subject to public consultation.

He added that in the next three months the commission will engage the public on a consultation.

His words: “the proposed tariff review is what we are mandated to do as a regulator. We did the first one around June, January is here, we have done it. We have no option than to do our jobs. We have done the review and it is subject to public consultation. “In the next three months, we will engage you for consultations. We have given the report card of what we saw based on all indices for doing the review. We did not say it is binding tomorrow morning. We said we are going to the second thing: consultation. “The order is simply a communication of what we have done as a regulator looking at what it takes to increase or decrease tariff. If at the end of our meeting back and front, we say increase there is an increase. If we say no increase, no increase.

“It is going to be based on our engagement at the public forum. We are going to issue a press statement for one more time what this document (the order) in a layman language.

“That is the one you will all work on. No increase to the tariff. We are not leaving any stone on turned. We don’t want any increase without negotiations with the customers’ wit AEDC, with MAN.

“I am a customer too. As customers, we will pay our bills. But if you suddenly change it, I need to know why. It must be for the good of everybody. Don’t forget, the service must improve.”

The chairman noted that the commission will in the next few months put a ceiling to what amount the Discos can charge their customers under the estimated billing regime.

He added that it was to the advantage of the distributors to provide meters for their customers.

His words: “Our minds, acts are solidly behind making sure that Nigerians are provided electricity, Nigerians are metered and that Nigerians who need meters are already known. We will do everything to ensure that DisCos provide meters to our customers. “Failure to do so, we have a backup plan, which is one of our regulations that will be out in the next few months. It will state the maximum amount you can charge the customers for which you have no been able to provide meters. In fact, it is to their (DisCos) advantage to provide meters.”

SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

News

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

by ReportersAtLarge
August 29, 2025
0

The Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) has urged for inclusion of Nigerian youths in governance and policy making, saying their...

Read moreDetails
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Nigerian Passport for South Africa Visa
News

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

The Nigeria Immigration Service has announced an upward review of the cost of obtaining the Nigerian Standard Passport, effective September...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Deputy Commissoner of Police Abba Kyari

Extradition: Why FG Should Put Security Ring Around Abba Kyari, Ex-AIG Reveals

3 years ago
Dr Kayode Fayemi and Gboyega Oyetola

Presidency: It’s A Pay Back Time For Fayemi’s Love, Oyetola Rallies Delegates In Osun, Oyo

3 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
January 2020
SMTWTFS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
« Dec   Feb »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights