• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

It’s Illegal For SSANU, NASU To Go On Strike Again, Says FG

by ReportersAtLarge
February 5, 2021
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Chris Ngige

Chris Ngige

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

The Federal Government on Friday told members of the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU), the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU) and the National Association of Academic Technologists that they cannot go ahead with their planned industrial action slated to start by midnight.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said this in an interview with State House correspondents shortly after a meeting he had with the President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

ADVERTISEMENT

The minister said going ahead with the planned strike would run contrary to the International Labour Organisation’s statute on social dialogue and principles at work.

He said this was because their employers have listened and have brought them to the table for discussion.

The minister said SSANU and NASU notified the government of the planned strike the Joint Action Committee.

RelatedPosts

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

He added that the government has moved to “apprehend the strike” because the country just came out from a strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities which lasted nine months.

Ngige explained, “In consonance with the labour laws, we have apprehended both strikes. They gave us trade dispute notice, we scheduled meetings with them after apprehension, we held meeting with NASU and SSANU last week Tuesday and the government’s position was explained to them.

“They have a lot of issues mentioned as their grouse, issues like IPPIS. They said IPPIS has amputated some of their allowances, they also have the issue of consequential adjustment that was paid to all civil servants as a result of the new minimum wage of N30,000 for staff above Grade Level One, that is starting from Grade Level Two up to Level 17.”

The minister said explanations have been made on all the issues raised by the unions.

“So, in the main, after conferring with Mr President, we are telling the unions not to carry out the action because that action will run counter to ILO Statute on social dialogue and principles at work because their employers have listened, they have brought them to the table.

“So, for SSANU and NASU, we are imploring them not to carry out their threat which they said will take effect from this midnight.

“More so, when the meeting adjourned at their own instance. Just this morning, I received a letter from them giving us a new date for the continuation of the dialogue.

“They proposed a new date of Thursday, February 11 and my office has communicated to them back that we will be ready for them at that time because as they claimed, they needed time to consult with their constituency and come back on the fresh issues that have cropped up from the discussion.”

Asked why the government waited till the last day to respond to threats by the unions since they had given the notice to embark on strike starting from midnight of February 5, Ngige said, “It will be preposterous for them to say that as we wait to negotiate further, they are invoking a strike by midnight today. That will be against the labour statute of both the ILO and the Nigeria Trade Dispute Act and we will frown at it if they ever go that route.”

On if the government would invoke no work no pay policy should the workers go ahead with the strike, the minister said, “I don’t want to go to that area because I presume that good judgment will prevail.”

Tags: BREAKING NEWSChris NgigeNASUNigerian Universities Latest NewsSSANU
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Bola Ahmed Tinubu addressing a political coalition meeting in Nigeria - Tinubu Presidency
Opinion

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

by ReportersAtLarge
May 17, 2026
0

The Bola Tinubu presidency now faces its most isolating challenge as historic Nigerian economic reforms test public patience. This analysis...

Read moreDetails
Port Harcourt Refinery - Nigeria refinery rehabilitation - Nigeria Refinery Crisis
Opinion

Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

by ReportersAtLarge
May 16, 2026
0

The ongoing Nigeria refinery crisis highlights a painful era of policy hesitation that compromised domestic refining self-sufficiency. This deep-dive exposes...

Read moreDetails
Major General Hakeem Otiki
News

Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

by ReportersAtLarge
May 16, 2026
0

The General Hakeem Otiki Supreme Court judgment has officially ended the controversial Nigerian Army appeal. The historic ruling permanently throws...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bashorun Akinwale Akinwole - Professor Babatunde

Wolekanle Congratulates New Oyo SSG, Prof Babatunde

4 months ago
Bauchi Governor Mohammed Abubakar

596 Dead People On Govt Payroll In Bauchi

6 years ago

Popular News

  • DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

    WHO Declares DR Congo Ebola Outbreak International Emergency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Abduction: Gunmen kill Teacher, Abduct Vice Principal, Pupils

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • WHO Declares DR Congo Ebola Outbreak International Emergency May 17, 2026
  • The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy May 17, 2026
  • Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade May 16, 2026
  • Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored May 16, 2026
  • Oyo School Abduction: Gunmen kill Teacher, Abduct Vice Principal, Pupils May 15, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights