• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Many Dead After Coup Attempt In Guinea-Bissau

by ReportersAtLarge
February 2, 2022
in Featured, WorldNews
Reading Time: 1 min read
0
Guinea-Bissau coup attempt

Soldiers could be seen patrolling the government palace area. Photo: AFP.

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

A reported coup in the West African state of Guinea-Bissau has left many members of the security forces dead, its president says.

Umaro Cissoko Embaló said the situation was under control, calling it a “failed attack against democracy”.

Gunfire erupted near a government building on Tuesday in the capital Bissau where the president was reportedly attending a cabinet meeting.

Soldiers are said to have detained the president and his ministers.

Unidentified heavily armed gunmen attacked the government palace while President Embaló was meeting Prime Minister Nuno Gomes Nabiam inside, according to reports from the ground.

RelatedPosts

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

A security source who did not want to be identified told the BBC that gunmen in civilian clothes had opened fire and a police officer had been killed.

West African regional leaders described the incident as a coup attempt and urged troops to return to barracks.

But what happened remains unclear: it is not yet known who the gunman was and the president did not give an exact figure for those killed.

One of the poorest countries in the world, the former Portuguese colony has seen nine coups or attempted coups since 1980.

Struggling with massive foreign debt and an economy that relies heavily on foreign aid, the country has also become a transit point for Latin American drugs, leading it to be dubbed by some as Africa’s first narco-state.

On Tuesday evening Mr Embaló said the “well prepared and organised” attack could have been “related to people involved in drug trafficking,” but gave no further details.

While Mr Embaló won the December 2019 presidential election, he faced a last-minute stand-off with parliament before taking office the following February.

Tags: BissauBREAKING NEWSGuinea-Bissauworld news
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Baltasar Ebang-Engonga
WorldNews

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

Baltasar Ebang Engonga, former Director-General of Equatorial Guinea’s National Financial Investigation Agency (ANIF), has been sentenced to eight years in...

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump Social Media App
WorldNews

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

by ReportersAtLarge
August 1, 2025
0

The United States has officially imposed a new 15% import tariff on Nigeria and several other African countries, effective immediately....

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump disqualified from the 2024 US Election
WorldNews

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

by ReportersAtLarge
July 17, 2025
0

Donald Trump is suffering from a chronic vein condition, the White House announced on Thursday, after days of speculation regarding...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

NAFDAC

NAFDAC Advocates Stiffer Penalties For Illegal Importation Of Substandard Medicines

3 years ago
Ankara bombing Turkey

Ankara bombing: Turkey Strikes Against Kurdish Rebel PKK

9 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
February 2022
SMTWTFS
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728 
« Jan   Mar »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights