• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Terror Threat: Tension Heightens In Abuja As FG Detains 35 Suspected ISWAP Fighters

by ReportersAtLarge
October 28, 2022
in Featured, Metro
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Department of State Services - DSS
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

A joint operation launched by the Department of State Services (DSS), the National Intelligence Agency, the police and other security agencies has successfully dismantled a terror cell and arrested five Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) commanders and 30 fighters.

The terror suspects were apprehended at their hideouts in different locations in Abuja, Mararaba and other satellite towns in the Federal Capital Territory. It was learnt that the suspects were being held at a DSS facility.

The arrests were made amid heightened tension in the nation’s capital. The popular Jabi Lake Mall shut its doors to shoppers and visitors on Thursday, citing the security situation.

The FCT Administration demolished shanties on Law School land as part of security measures to discourage criminal activities.

Also, the United Kingdom issued a fresh security alert warning British nationals against visiting Abuja and 14 other states.

RelatedPosts

28 Rescued, 22 Missing In Sokoto Boat Crash

US Court Finally Imprisons Top Yoruba Monarch

Cleaner On N30k Salary Returns N4.8m Mistakenly Paid Into Her Bank Account

This further sparked anxiety among residents, as many stayed away from work while vehicular traffic was unusually light.

In addition, the United States Mission and the British High Commission suspended consular services.

However, the counter-intelligence operations that netted the suspected militants continued on Thursday with more arrests. It was said to have the backing of the US security and intelligence agencies.

However, the number of additional suspects picked up during the Thursday raid could not be confirmed.

It was further learnt that the intelligence agencies had been on the trail of the insurgents before the US and the British High Commission issued security alerts last Sunday, warning their citizens about impending terrorist attacks.

The US Embassy in Abuja had issued an alert for “an elevated risk of terror attacks” in the city, saying that possible targets include government buildings, places of worship and other public places.

In response to this development, the US government authorised the departure of its non-essential employees and their families from Nigeria.

The US State Department in its updated Nigeria travel advisory on Tuesday evening said, “On October 25, 2022, the Department authorised the departure of non-emergency US government employees and family members due to the heightened risk of terrorist attacks.”

The British High Commission in Nigeria also took a similar step and restricted entry to its premises in an updated terrorism alert.

On Monday, security operatives arrested two terror suspects at Trademore Estate in the Lugbe area of Abuja.

Security sources explained that the ISWAP members relocated to the FCT following the heavy bombardment of their enclaves and camps in the North-West by the Nigerian Air Force.

Giving more insight into the ongoing counter-intelligence operations, a security source revealed that the terror suspects were planning a big attack in Abuja before they were nabbed.

The source disclosed that the detained fighters were providing valuable information, which led to the arrest of some of their members masquerading as artisans, cart pushers, and security guards in the city.

A senior officer stated, “A massive counter-intelligence operation is going on to disrupt, neutralise and destroy the ISWAP terrorists in the FCT. Many commanders and their foot soldiers have been arrested and are helping us in our investigations. About five commanders and 30 fighters have been apprehended but we expect to capture more suspects as we widen our dragnet.’’

The DSS spokesperson, Peter Afunanya said he had not been briefed on the arrest of the terrorists when one of our correspondents contacted him.

The Director, Defence Information, Major Jimmy Akpor, did not pick up calls to his line and has yet to respond to a text message.

Meanwhile, in another update on Wednesday, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office again restated its warning of an increased threat of terrorist attack in Abuja.

Despite the Federal Government’s assurances that the security agencies were in control of the security situation, the British Government cautioned its nationals against travel to the FCT and 14 other states in the country.

The travel advice was made available to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, underscoring the gravity of the situation.

The statement was titled, ‘FCDO updates travel advice to British nationals travelling to the Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja.’

It reads, “FCDO has updated its travel advice for British nationals on 26 October. The FCDO now advises against all but essential travel to the Federal Capital Territory, including Abuja.

“The updated advice outlines that there is an increased threat of terrorist attack in Abuja. British nationals are advised to stay alert, avoid non-essential travel within the city, and follow the local news and the advice of security authorities.

“The British High Commission remains open for essential services. The travel advice will constantly be reviewed to make sure it reflects the current situation in Abuja and Nigeria. FCDO travel advice exists to inform British nationals so they can make decisions about travelling abroad.

Tags: BREAKING NEWSDepartment of State Services
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Boat Mishap
Metro

28 Rescued, 22 Missing In Sokoto Boat Crash

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Tuesday confirmed the recovery of three more bodies in the ongoing search and...

Read moreDetails
Apetu of Ipetumodu Oba Joseph Oloyede
Metro

US Court Finally Imprisons Top Yoruba Monarch

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

U.S. District Judge Christopher A. Boyko has sentenced Apetu of Ipetumodu in Osun State, Oba Joseph Oloyede, a dual Nigerian...

Read moreDetails
Maiduguri Borno State Map
Metro

Cleaner On N30k Salary Returns N4.8m Mistakenly Paid Into Her Bank Account

by ReportersAtLarge
August 25, 2025
0

A cleaner on N30,000 monthly salary, Faiza Abdulkadir, has returned N4.8 million credited to her bank account by mistake in...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu

INEC Reacts To Lawmakers’ Bill On Electronic Transmission Of Election Results

4 years ago
Giuseppe Paterno oldest man to graduate

96-Year-Old Man Graduates From College In Italy, Becomes Oldest Person In Country To Do So

2 years ago

Popular News

  • Prince Adeyinka Afonja CEO of Ace Mall

    Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Ace Mall CEO Yinka Afonja Bags Poly Eruwa Foundation Fellowship Award August 30, 2025
  • Empowering a Brighter Future: MKO Foundation Launches Life-Changing Initiatives August 30, 2025
  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
October 2022
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Sep   Nov »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights