• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

2015 Elections: I Was Shocked By Jonathan’s Concession Call —Buhari

by ReportersAtLarge
May 31, 2016
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari

Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

NIGERIAN President, Muhammadu Buhari, has praised former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, saying that he was yet to recover from the shock of the concession call Jonathan made to him before the outcome of the 2015 presidential election.

He said he respect the former president for the gesture because he never expected that someone who had been in power for 16 years would willing give it up in that manner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking in Abuja on Monday at a luncheon with State House correspondents to mark his first one year in office, he observed that Jonathan’s action was an act of generosity and patriotism.

He said: “This is where I pay my respect to former President Goodluck Jonathan. This is actually privileged information for you. He called me at a quarter past five in the evening. He said good evening your Excellency Sir and I said good evening.

“He said I have called to congratulate you that I have conceded defeat. Of course there was dead silence on my end, because I did not expect it. And he said, “did you hear me?”

RelatedPosts

One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

“I was shocked. I did not expect it because after 16 years, the man was a deputy governor, governor, Vice President and was President for six years. For him to have conceded defeat even before the result was announced by INEC. I think it was an act of generosity and great patriotism.”

The president revealed that former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who had also learned of the call, reached out to him (Buhari) and advised that they go to the presidential villa at once to thank Jonathan.

“Abdulsalami recognised the generosity of Jonathan to concede defeat and said we should go and thank him immediately and I agreed. That was the first time I came here (villa),” he added.

The president also spoke on the issue of corruption, saying that government has decided talk less on corruption in order to allow the judiciary to do their jobs.

He said less talk was also necessary so that government could recover as much stolen funds as possible.

The president said he was also shocked at the level of looting under the previous government as he observed that officials shared money meant for arms purchase among themselves.

He stated: “People were trusted and the most recent one which we haven’t recovered from is the $2.1billion, given by the government then, to the military to buy hardware to fight the insurgency which had taken over parts of the country and they just sat just like you are sitting now and shared the money into their own accounts.

“They didn’t even bother. So, we are still trying to get the cooperation of the international community and so on and we have to do it with a lot of respect to the judiciary.

“We can’t go out and talk too much. We have to allow the judiciary to do their work. We give them the facts, the names, country, bank accounts.

“If you talk too much, technicalities will come in. Then, we will realise less than what we want to realise.”

Tags: 2015 ElectionsapcBuhariELECTIONGEJGeneral ElectionGoodluck Ebele JonathanJonathanNigeriaNigerian newsnigerian politicsPDPPMBPOLITICSPresident Buhari
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Russian missile strikes on Kyiv Ukraine
World News

One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

by ReportersAtLarge
May 24, 2026
0

One person has been killed following a wave of Russian missile strikes on Kyiv that damaged schools and homes. The...

Read moreDetails
UK Visa - UK Home Office National Statistics
News

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

by ReportersAtLarge
May 23, 2026
0

New Home Office immigration data shows UK student visa rejections have hit a decade high. The sharp rise matches a...

Read moreDetails
President of the United States of America, Donald Trump on US Green Card application rules
World News

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

by ReportersAtLarge
May 22, 2026
0

The US has altered its Green Card application rules under a new Trump immigration policy. These legal immigration changes mean...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Africa Tourism Leadership Forum and Awards ATLF - Africa Tourism Leadership 2206

Africa Tourism Leadership Forum Concludes Tenure In Botswana

2 years ago
Destiny Young commends Godswill Akpabio

Man Lauds Akpabio, Wife For Footing His N25m Hospital Bill On Kidney Transplant

4 years ago

Popular News

  • Ayo Oritsejafor cancer battle

    Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On Battle With Cancer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo PDP Gubernatorial Primary A Joke – Kayode Ogunsola

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On Battle With Cancer May 24, 2026
  • Oyo PDP Gubernatorial Primary A Joke – Kayode Ogunsola May 24, 2026
  • One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv May 24, 2026
  • UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop May 23, 2026
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia May 23, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights