• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Argungu Festival Holds 2018

by ReportersAtLarge
April 16, 2017
in Featured, Tourism & Culture
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
argungu festival
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Emir of Argungu, Alhaji Samaila Mera, on Sunday said the popular Argungu Fishing and Cultural Festival would hold in March, 2018 and would feature polo as one of its events.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mera made the remarks during a courtesy call by Francis Ogboro, the President of the Nigeria Polo Federation (NPF) and his officials to the Emir’s palace.

The four-day yearly festival, held in Kebbi State, is one of Nigeria’s internationally recognised tourism attractions.

But unfortunately, it has not been held since the last edition in 2009, posing a huge revenue loss to the local economy and the country.

The Emir, however, said plans were on ground to ensure the festival held next year.

RelatedPosts

2025 Isese Day: Makinde Promises Continuous Support For Traditional Heritage

Sango Festival: Makinde’s Support For Tourism Activities Commended

Governor Biodun Oyebanji Emerges Best Tourism Governor 2024

“We are working together with the State government to make sure that the festival is staged next year.

“We are in the process of appointing a Director-General for the festival, create a Secretariat and start making contacts with our various sponsors as well as the various stakeholders.

“As you know, the festival has now been inscribed in the World Heritage list which makes the United Nations a stakeholder in the festival.

“So, immediately the director-general is appointed, we will have a tripartite meeting between the State, the Federal Government and the United Nations, who are the major stakeholders in the festival.

“From that meeting, we should be able to announce to the world when the next festival will hold which will definitely be sometime in March next year, Insha Allah,” he said.

He also noted that there was a great potential in the polo tournament being part of the festival, adding that the tournament had continued to evolve and grow over the years.

“The festival started with just the main event, which is the grand fishing.

“Today, we have about seven to eight major events making the entire festival.

“Therefore, this has huge potential in my opinion of becoming one event amongst so many to hold during the festival,” he said.

He explained that the reason for the lengthy delay in holding festival was largely due to the security situation the country had been faced with for quite a while.

“You know the festival is such that attracts people like no other festival in the country.

“In our wisdom, we felt that it was a kind of opportunity the miscreants in our society will want to take advantage of to attack and cause maximum damage.

“So, we were not prepared to take that chances.

“Alhamdullahi, peace has come to most part of the country and we felt it is safe enough to stage it at this time.

“Hopefully, next year Insha Allah it will hold,” he said.

In his response, Ogboro said he and the entire NPF family were very honoured to have been personally invited by the Emir to witness the maiden Argungu polo tournament.

“I am very excited that polo has come to Argungu for the first time in the history of the state and I am proud to have been part of this historical event,” he said.

He said the NPF would work harmoniously with NSK Farms, the sponsors, as well as the state government to ensure that the dream became a reality.

He added that the game of polo, would indeed, be a plus to the festival as it had the potential of attracting people from all over the world.

“The benefits are, indeed, numerous for this part of the country as well as the entire nation,” he said.

The Argungu Polo Tournament which was organised by Alhaji Nura Kangiwa, the patron of the NSK Farms galloped on Friday and ended on Sunday.

Tags: ArgunguArgungu Fishing FestivaltourismTourism Matters
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Makinde promises Isese adherents continued support at 2025 Isese Festival
Tourism & Culture

2025 Isese Day: Makinde Promises Continuous Support For Traditional Heritage

by ReportersAtLarge
August 20, 2025
0

Oyo State governor, 'Seyi Makinde, has assured Isese adherents that his administration will continue to promote and support them to...

Read moreDetails
Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde (left); receiving the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Certificate for Sango Festival from Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Dr Wasiu Olatubosun, during a State Executive Council meeting, held at Executive Chamber, Governor's Office, Secretariat, Ibadan.
Tourism & Culture

Sango Festival: Makinde’s Support For Tourism Activities Commended

by ReportersAtLarge
August 19, 2025
0

Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde, has received the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Certificate for Sango Festival, Oyo. The certificate presentation...

Read moreDetails
Governor Biodun Oyebanji of Ekiti State
Tourism & Culture

Governor Biodun Oyebanji Emerges Best Tourism Governor 2024

by ReportersAtLarge
August 18, 2025
0

The Board of Management and Directors of Africa Travel Quarterly (ATQ) Magazine, organisers of the Traveller’s Awards and the Akwaaba...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

nigeria-police-logo sars

Osun Decides: APC, PDP Supporters Clash, Teargassed At INEC Office

7 years ago
UI Vice-Chancellor, Prof Kayode Adebowale, mni, Fas with the Group Leader, Development Programmes of FIFA, Mr. Solomon Mudege.

UI Seeks FIFA’s Assistance To Establish Football Academy

3 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
April 2017
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30 
« Mar   May »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights