• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Mogherini To US: ‘No Alternative’ To Iran Deal

by ReportersAtLarge
May 22, 2018
in Featured, World News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Federica Mogherini

Federica Mogherini

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE EU’s foreign policy chief warned Monday there was “no alternative” to the Iran nuclear deal, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vowed unprecedented sanctions against Tehran following Washington’s withdrawal from the pact.

Pompeo — a longtime Iran hawk and fierce opponent of the 2015 agreement — earlier outlined an aggressive series of “painful” measures designed to hurt Tehran, in his first key address since moving to the State Department from the CIA in April.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Secretary Pompeo’s speech has not demonstrated how walking away from the JCPOA (nuclear deal) has made or will make the region safer from the threat of nuclear proliferation or how it puts us in a better position to influence Iran’s conduct in areas outside the scope of JCPOA,” the European Union’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said.

ALSO READ: I Was Sacked For Refusing To Probe Atiku, Saraki — Uwajeh, SPIP Investigator

In a statement, she stressed “there is no alternative” to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, as the deal is officially known.

RelatedPosts

Cyril Ramaphosa Impeachment Looms After Landmark Court Ruling

Iran War Negotiations Reopen As Tehran Offers New Terms

US-Iran War Cost Hits $25bn, Pentagon Confirms

US President Donald Trump sparked an international outcry earlier this month when he announced his country would pull out of the landmark accord struck in July 2015 between Tehran and major world powers.

His move came despite the fact that the UN’s nuclear watchdog, in charge of monitoring Iran’s compliance with the deal, has confirmed that Tehran has so far abided by the terms.

Trump wants Brussels and others to support his hardline strategy and push for a fresh agreement.

“Iran will never again have carte blanche to dominate the Middle East,” Pompeo said, outlining 12 tough conditions from Washington for any “new deal” with Tehran.

ALSO READ: $16bn Power Project: You Have Questions To Answer, Buhari Tells Obasanjo

But Mogherini called on the US to keep its commitments as part of the agreement signed under Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama.

“The JCPOA is the result of more than a decade of complex and delicate negotiations, based on dual track approach and therefore the best possible outcome, striking the right balance,” Mogherini said.

“This deal belongs to the international community, having been endorsed by the United Nations Security Council. The international community expects all sides to keep the commitments they made more than two years ago.”

She reiterated that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) had confirmed already 10 times that Iran has implemented “all its nuclear related commitments” under the agreement.

The re-establishment of the US punitive measures will likely force European companies to choose between investing in Iran or trading with the United States.

The EU has been trying to persuade Iran to stay in the 2015 agreement, even without Washington’s participation.

ALSO READ: 2019: Arewa Youths Tell Buhari, Atiku Not To Contest

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, attending the G20 foreign ministers’ meeting in Buenos Aires, said he was not surprised by Pompeo’s critique of the Iran deal, before adding: “We do not see at this time a better alternative.”

“We believe that without this agreement, we would take the risk that Iran resumes its nuclear program,” he said.

Maas said he will travel to Washington to talk with Pompeo this week.

Tags: EUFederica MogheriniIran Nuclear DearMike Pompeo
SendShare3TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Julius Malema of the EFF speaking to media regarding the Cyril Ramaphosa impeachment ruling
World News

Cyril Ramaphosa Impeachment Looms After Landmark Court Ruling

by ReportersAtLarge
May 8, 2026
0

The South Africa Constitutional Court has ruled that Parliament acted unlawfully in blocking the Cyril Ramaphosa impeachment. The Phala Phala...

Read moreDetails
Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and US President Donald Trump, separated by a map of a blocked Strait of Hormuz and symbols of military conflict. - Iran War Negotiations
World News

Iran War Negotiations Reopen As Tehran Offers New Terms

by ReportersAtLarge
May 1, 2026
0

Iran has delivered a new peace proposal to the US via Pakistani mediators to end the ongoing conflict. The move...

Read moreDetails
Pentagon official testifying before House Armed Services Committee regarding US-Iran war cost.
World News

US-Iran War Cost Hits $25bn, Pentagon Confirms

by ReportersAtLarge
April 29, 2026
0

The Pentagon has officially confirmed that the US-Iran war cost has reached $25 billion, sparking intense debate over Pentagon military...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Kayode Fayemi

Fayemi Woos Investors To Boost Tourism Sector

6 years ago
governor ayodel fayose Ekiti State

SGF, NIA Chief’s Suspension An Afterthought – Fayose

9 years ago

Popular News

  • Ekiti Senate Election Results - Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, Senator Yemi Adaramodu or Senator Cyril Oluwole Fasuyi

    Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi!

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi! May 20, 2026
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde May 19, 2026
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win May 19, 2026
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims May 18, 2026
  • Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM May 18, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights