• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News WorldNews

16 Dead, Dozens Missing In Shipwrecks Off Tunisia, Western Sahara

by ReportersAtLarge
August 7, 2023
in WorldNews
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Shipwrecks Off Tunisia, Western Sahara - boat
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

According to authorities, 16 migrants have perished in shipwrecks off the beaches of Tunisia and Western Sahara as North Africa deals with an increase in maritime crossings to Europe.

In search of a better life, people from other regions of the continent, principally irregular migrants and asylum seekers, have made risky trips along much of the North African coast.

According to a local court spokeswoman, Faouzi Masmoudi, the death toll from a shipwreck off the coast of Sfax, the second-largest city in Tunisia, has been revised from four to at least 11.

Masmoudi stated that 57 individuals were aboard the boat, all from sub-Saharan African nations, and that another 44 are unaccounted for.

In the Mediterranean Sea, close to Tunisia’s Kerkennah Islands, survivors of the sinking claimed that the improvised vessel had left during the weekend from a beach north of the coastal city of Sfax.

RelatedPosts

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

Units of the coastguard were looking for further survivors, Masmoudi said AFP.

Only 130 kilometres (80 miles) separate Sfax from Lampedusa, an island off the coast of Italy.

The deaths of five migrants, all from Senegal, had been found, according to Moroccan authorities, while 189 people had been saved when their boat sank off the coast of Western Sahara.

A military source informed Rabat’s state-owned MAP news agency that the 11 migrants in “critical condition” and the five bodies were taken to a hospital in Dakhla, the second city in the disputed Western Sahara on the Atlantic coast.

The source said the boat was found off the coast of Guerguart, just north of Mauritania, having departed from “a country located south of the kingdom” and was its route to Spain’s Canary Islands.

It was in a “difficult situation”, the source added.

The migrants who were rescued, including at least one woman, were taken to Dakhla on Sunday and handed over to Moroccan authorities, according to the source.

Deadliest Migration Route

Migrant deaths have surged in recent years as thousands flee war or crushing poverty, seeking to cross the Mediterranean in the hopes of finding better lives in Europe.

The central Mediterranean migrant crossing from North Africa to Europe is the world’s deadliest with more than 20,000 fatalities since 2014, according to the International Organization for Migration.

According to survivor testimony, at least 30 migrants are missing after two unrelated sinkings near Lampedusa of boats that departed last week from Sfax.

Authorities in Tunisia found the bodies of 12 migrants that washed ashore north of Sfax between Friday and Sunday, but it wasn’t immediately clear whether they were related to the shipwreck near the Kerkennah Islands, located just across from Sfax.

Masmoudi said authorities were investigating “whether there have been other shipwrecks in this area”.

According to Tunisia’s interior ministry, 901 bodies had been recovered this year by July 20 following maritime accidents in the Mediterranean, while 34,290 migrants had been rescued or intercepted.

Most of them came from sub-Saharan African countries, it said.

Nearly 90,000 migrants have arrived in Italy this year, according to the UN refugee agency, with most of them having embarked from Tunisia or neighbouring Libya.

Crossing attempts multiplied in March and April following an incendiary speech by President Kais Saied who had alleged that “hordes” of sub-Saharan migrants were causing crime and posing a demographic threat to the mainly Arab country.

Xenophobic attacks targeting black African migrants and students have increased across the country since Saied’s February remarks, and many migrants have lost jobs and housing.

Since early July, hundreds of migrants have been driven out of Sfax after a Tunisian man’s death in an altercation with migrants.

In the following days, Tunisian police took migrants to the desert and other unhospitable areas near the Libyan and Algerian borders, rights groups and international organisations said.

Humanitarian sources have put their number at over 2,000, with at least 25 reported deaths of migrants abandoned in the Tunisian-Libyan border area since last month.

Source: AFP
Tags: EuropeMediterraneanMIGRANTSSaharaTUNISIAWestern Sahara
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Baltasar Ebang-Engonga
WorldNews

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

Baltasar Ebang Engonga, former Director-General of Equatorial Guinea’s National Financial Investigation Agency (ANIF), has been sentenced to eight years in...

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump Social Media App
WorldNews

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

by ReportersAtLarge
August 1, 2025
0

The United States has officially imposed a new 15% import tariff on Nigeria and several other African countries, effective immediately....

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump disqualified from the 2024 US Election
WorldNews

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

by ReportersAtLarge
July 17, 2025
0

Donald Trump is suffering from a chronic vein condition, the White House announced on Thursday, after days of speculation regarding...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bola Ahmed Tinubu signs Student Loan

Alao Congratulates Tinubu, Shettima Over Tribunal Victory

2 years ago
Arsenal

BREAKING: Arsenal Beat Newscastle 4 – 0

6 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
August 2023
SMTWTFS
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031 
« Jul   Sep »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights