• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Ministerial Appointment: El-Rufai Withdraws Interest, Gives Reason

by ReportersAtLarge
August 11, 2023
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai

Nasir El-Rufai

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

A former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, has withdrawn his interest in being part of President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet, PREMIUM TIMES reports.

Presidency sources said El-Rufai told President Tinubu at a meeting on Tuesday that he was no longer interested in becoming a minister but would continue contributing his quota to Nigeria’s development as a private citizen.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He also told the president that he needed time to focus on his doctorate programme at a university in The Netherlands,” one of our sources said.

Another insider also told this medium that the former governor suggested a new ministerial nominee—Jafaru Ibrahim Sani — for Kaduna State, saying the President would find him very useful and resourceful.

Sani served as commissioner in three ministries in Kaduna State (Local Government Education and Environment) while El-Rufai was governor.

RelatedPosts

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

Makinde Suspends Excursions In Oyo Schools Over Rising Security Fears

El-Rufai visited the President at the presidential villa a day after the Senate confirmed 45 ministerial nominees after screening 48 of them for a week.

However, the upper legislative chamber withheld his and two others’ confirmations, citing security reports from the State Security Service as the reason for the action.

The two others were Sani Danladi, a former senator from Taraba, and Stella Okotete, a nominee from Delta State.

Our sources said that when he became aware of the Senate pronouncement on his case, El-Rufai, who returned to Nigeria from London on Monday, sought and received an appointment to meet the president.

At the meeting on Tuesday afternoon, President Tinubu, according to our sources, told the former governor he received some petitions critical of his ministerial nomination.

The president then asked for 24 hours to review the petitions and the SSS report to the Senate before deciding.

At that point, El-Rufai responded that he was no longer interested in being minister since it appeared some forces around the president were scheming intensely to block his emergence as federal minister.

El-Rufai disclosed during his confirmation hearing on 1 August that Mr Tinubu asked him to work with him on the country’s power problem.

According to him, the President had set a target of seven years for Nigeria to stop experiencing power outages.

At the Tuesday meeting, El-Rufai also reportedly told the President that since he would no longer be in the federal executive council, he would return the next day with his team to present the preliminary work done so far on the energy sector.

The team that accompanied the former governor to make presentations to the president on Wednesday includes Eyo Ekpo, a former commissioner at the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC); Hafiz Bayero, a former commissioner and administrator of the Kaduna Capital Territory Authority; Tolu Oyekan of the Boston Consulting Group and Ayodele Oni, a lawyer.

Olu Verheijen, the special adviser to the President on Energy Matters, presented on Gas.

El-Rufai is studying for a doctorate in public policy at the United Nations University, Maastricht.

His associates say as he prepared to leave office as governor in May this year, he had indicated his desire to exit public life and concentrate on his PhD programme.

But that was until then President-elect Tinubu asked him to join his cabinet so he could charge him with the responsibility of repositioning the inefficient power sector in Africa’s largest economy.

It is unclear what suddenly went wrong between the two men such that an agency of government would block El-Rufai’s ministerial nomination without the president lifting a finger.

PREMIUM TIMES reports that when contacted, Muyiwa Adekeye, the media adviser to Mr El-Rufai, the media adviser to Mr El-Rufai, declined to comment for this story.

SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

UK Visa - UK Home Office National Statistics
News

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

by ReportersAtLarge
May 23, 2026
0

New Home Office immigration data shows UK student visa rejections have hit a decade high. The sharp rise matches a...

Read moreDetails
President of the United States of America, Donald Trump on US Green Card application rules
World News

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

by ReportersAtLarge
May 22, 2026
0

The US has altered its Green Card application rules under a new Trump immigration policy. These legal immigration changes mean...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde speaking at a press briefing regarding the Oyo school kidnapping response Oyo Schools
News

Makinde Suspends Excursions In Oyo Schools Over Rising Security Fears

by ReportersAtLarge
May 22, 2026
0

Following the harrowing Ogbomoso school kidnapping, the ministry confirmed that travel outside Oyo schools has been suspended with immediate effect....

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Militant

Again, Militants Blow Up Shell Forcados Pipeline

10 years ago
Nigeria Healthcare Workers

Group Seeks Improved Health Performance Index

2 years ago

Popular News

  • UK Visa - UK Home Office National Statistics

    UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • How AI In Neurological Research Is Transforming MND Trials

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • APC Internal Crisis Imminent Over Faulty Primaries, Fayemi Warns

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop May 23, 2026
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia May 23, 2026
  • How AI In Neurological Research Is Transforming MND Trials May 23, 2026
  • New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home May 22, 2026
  • APC Internal Crisis Imminent Over Faulty Primaries, Fayemi Warns May 22, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights