• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

JAILBREAK: Why I Voluntarily Returned To Prison, Says An Inmate, As 25 Inmates Return to Benin Correctional Centres

by ReportersAtLarge
October 25, 2020
in Featured, Metro
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Inmates returns to edo-prisons
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

At least, 25 inmates out of the 1,900 that escaped from Oko and Sapele Road Correctional Centres in Benin City, Edo State last Monday have voluntarily surrendered themselves to the authorities.

An official of the Sapele Road Correctional Centre gave the figure yesterday, disclosing that one of the escapees had been recaptured after he was shot in the leg last Wednesday.

The official, also, disclosed that two out of the 25 inmates, who returned were inmates at the Oko Medium Correctional Centre along Airport Road, Benin.

Reporters At Large had earlier reported that Edo State governor, Godwin Obaseki, has given escapee inmates from the Benin Correctional Centre, Sapele road and Oko Medium centre till Friday to report back to the centres or face the full wrath of the law.

Obaseki gave the directive while inspecting the vandalized correctional centres and other government institutions in the state in collaboration with the police and Corrections Service officers

RelatedPosts

28 Rescued, 22 Missing In Sokoto Boat Crash

US Court Finally Imprisons Top Yoruba Monarch

Cleaner On N30k Salary Returns N4.8m Mistakenly Paid Into Her Bank Account

THISDAY reports the official, who pleaded anonymity as explaining that the inmates would be returned to Oko when normalcy returns to the centre.

“The Department of State Security, the police and officials of the Nigerian Correctional Services will soon commence a manhunt for the runaway inmates immediately after a seven-day grace the state government gave them has elapsed.

He said those who escaped from lawful prison custody risked being sentenced for extra seven years if caught while those who willingly surrendered themselves would be shown mercy as the state governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki promised.

He said: “We have a way of arresting runway prisoners. We will swing into action once the protest calms down nationwide. The earlier they return on their own, the better for them.

“Those who are rearrested will be retried and sentenced to extra seven years if convicted. So, it is in their interest to return as the governor has given them an extra one week of grace to do so.”

One of the inmates, Alex Ose explained his decision to return to the centre, noting that he had been awaiting trial since 2014 when he was arrested for armed robbery in Benin.

Ose, a father of four and a taxi driver, said he decided to heed Obaseki’s call because he was innocent of the charges brought against him.

Ose, 40, said he was sure that the court would eventually vindicate him.

He, however, confessed that the escape provided him with an opportunity to see his wife and children after a long time. He added that he ran into the ensuing bedlam when the protesters stormed the centre and ordered them to escape.

He said: “I am innocent of the allegations against me. I was framed up. I am appealing to Governor Obaseki to look into my case.

“I have every opportunity to run, but chose to surrender myself because I am not guilty. The governor should please look seriously into my case.”

Tags: BeninBREAKINGBREAKING NEWSEdoGodwin ObasekiOko Medium Correctional Centre
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Boat Mishap
Metro

28 Rescued, 22 Missing In Sokoto Boat Crash

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Tuesday confirmed the recovery of three more bodies in the ongoing search and...

Read moreDetails
Apetu of Ipetumodu Oba Joseph Oloyede
Metro

US Court Finally Imprisons Top Yoruba Monarch

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

U.S. District Judge Christopher A. Boyko has sentenced Apetu of Ipetumodu in Osun State, Oba Joseph Oloyede, a dual Nigerian...

Read moreDetails
Maiduguri Borno State Map
Metro

Cleaner On N30k Salary Returns N4.8m Mistakenly Paid Into Her Bank Account

by ReportersAtLarge
August 25, 2025
0

A cleaner on N30,000 monthly salary, Faiza Abdulkadir, has returned N4.8 million credited to her bank account by mistake in...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bola Ahmed Tinubu signs Student Loan

Alao Congratulates Tinubu, Shettima Over Tribunal Victory

2 years ago
Arsenal

BREAKING: Arsenal Beat Newscastle 4 – 0

6 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
October 2020
SMTWTFS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Sep   Nov »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights