• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News WorldNews

Coup Attempt: Turkey’s Armed Forces Deep Overhaul

by ReportersAtLarge
July 28, 2016
in WorldNews
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Turkey Army
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

TURKEY’s top brass and political leaders were poised to launch a major overhaul of the armed forces on Thursday after a failed military coup that has shaken the nation of nearly 80 million people and alarmed its NATO allies.

Hours before the Supreme Military Council began its annual meeting in Ankara, the armed forces dishonorably discharged nearly 1,700 personnel for their alleged role in the July 15-16 putsch in which a faction of the armed forces tried to topple President Tayyip Erdogan.

Erdogan, who narrowly escaped capture and possible death on the night of the coup, told Reuters in an interview last week that the military, NATO’S second biggest, needed “fresh blood”. The dishonorable discharges included around 40 percent of Turkey’s admirals and generals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Turkey accuses U.S.-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen of masterminding the coup and has suspended or placed under investigation tens of thousands of his suspected followers, including soldiers, judges and academics.

In the aftermath of the coup, media outlets, schools and universities have also been closed down.

RelatedPosts

Burkina Faso’s Military Government Dissolves Political Parties

Trump Unveils Board Of Peace, ‘New Gaza’ Plans At Davos

US To Suspend Visa Processing For Nigeria, 74 Other Nations

As the crackdown widened, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday that more than 300 personnel in his ministry had links to Gulen and that it had dismissed 88 employees.

Separately, Turkey’s biggest petrochemicals company Petkim said its chief executive had resigned and the state-run news agency Anadolu said he had been detained in connection with the failed coup.

Citing intelligence reports, Turkey’s justice minister said on Thursday that Gulen, once a powerful ally of Erdogan, could flee his residence in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Gulen denies any involvement in the coup.

Western governments and human rights groups have condemned the coup, in which at least 246 people were killed and more than 2,000 injured, but have also expressed concern over the scale and depth of the purges, fearing that Erdogan may be using them to get rid of opponents and tighten his grip on power.

SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Captain Ibrahim Traore
WorldNews

Burkina Faso’s Military Government Dissolves Political Parties

by ReportersAtLarge
January 29, 2026
0

Burkina Faso’s military-led government has escalated its political crackdown by issuing a sweeping decree to dissolve all political parties, four...

Read moreDetails
President of the United States of America, Donald Trump
WorldNews

Trump Unveils Board Of Peace, ‘New Gaza’ Plans At Davos

by ReportersAtLarge
January 22, 2026
0

US President Donald Trump headed home from Davos on Thursday after unveiling his new Board of Peace and once again...

Read moreDetails
US State Department
WorldNews

US To Suspend Visa Processing For Nigeria, 74 Other Nations

by ReportersAtLarge
January 14, 2026
0

The Donald Trump-led administration is suspending all visa processing for applicants from 75 countries, a State Department spokesperson said on...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Bola Ahmed Tinubu signs Student Loan

Nigeria’s Student Loan Application Opens May 24

2 years ago
Prime Minister in Congo Election

92-Year-Old Former Prime Minister, 24 Others For DR Congo Presidency

8 years ago

Popular News

  • Wolekanle Salutes Oyo Speaker, Debo Ogundoyin, On Birthday

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Assembly Celebrates Ogundoyin @ 39, Hails His Transformational Leadership Style

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • State Power, Silent Systems And The Cost Of Weak Boundaries

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Inspiring Legacy Of Prof. Ajagbe Toriola Oyewo Honoured At Memorial Lecture

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Makinde Promotes 14 Chiefs, Baales To Crown-Wearing Obas In Oyo

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Wolekanle Salutes Oyo Speaker, Debo Ogundoyin, On Birthday February 17, 2026
  • Oyo Assembly Celebrates Ogundoyin @ 39, Hails His Transformational Leadership Style February 17, 2026
  • State Power, Silent Systems And The Cost Of Weak Boundaries February 16, 2026
  • Visit Ekiti Cap Bags World Headdress Celebration International Award February 15, 2026
  • Meet Victor Antai, Nigerian Politician Who Puts Conscience Above Loyalty February 15, 2026
July 2016
SMTWTFS
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31 
« Jun   Aug »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights