• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Ibadan Explosion: Makinde Set Up Emergency Centre, Vows To Punish Brains Behind Tragedy

•As Tinubu Sympathises With State, Promises Support

by ReportersAtLarge
January 17, 2024
in Featured, News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation

Governor Seyi Makinde

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde, has said the state has identified the company that stored up the explosives that caused Tuesday’s explosion in Dejo Oyelese Street, Adeyi Avenue, Old Bodija, Ibadan and that they will be brought to justice.

The governor stated this on Wednesday, during a press conference on the incident, held at the Briefing Room of the Governor’s Office, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, saying: “Those who brought this tragedy on Oyo State will be brought to book.”

Governor Makinde urged calm, reassuring that the state government is closely monitoring the situation and taking all necessary steps to ensure the search and rescue of victims from the debris and their welfare and property security.

He maintained that the state is experiencing a trying time and that its people must use their strength and resilience to be their brother’s keeper.

According to the governor, the state government has already taken some measures to address the situation, including setting up an Emergency Operation Centre to oversee search and rescue.

RelatedPosts

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

He vowed that the search and rescue effort will continue until all lives in the vicinity of the blast are accounted for, adding that the state government has also made provisions with hotels to accommodate victims—those living close to the site of the incident—once they can identify themselves.

Governor Makinde also revealed during the press conference that President Bola Tinubu spoke to him to commiserate with families who lost loved ones in the incident and promise the Federal Government’s support for the situation.

He appreciated the President’s deployment of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), which he noted was on the ground at the explosion scene.

The governor recounted that so far, there have been three deaths from the incident and that the number of injured was about 77.

He warned residents of the state to be wary of spreading fake figures and misinformation regarding the fatalities and the number of casualties.

The press conference came shortly after the governor visited some victims of the incidents at hotels around Bodija, Idi Ape, and Ikolaba axes, where the state government provided accommodation and food.

He said: “Since yesterday, our security agencies, first responders, emergency services and all other relevant agencies have been working diligently as they carry out search and rescue operations.

“Just this morning, another individual was recovered from the rubble. I want to assure you that the search and rescue operation will continue until all lives within the vicinity of the blast are accounted for.

“We are aware that aside from the immediate perimeter of the incident, people as far as 25km away may have been affected physically or psychologically. We have, therefore, put the Emergency Operation Centre, which is being headed by Professor Temitope Alonge, to coordinate all search and rescue efforts.

“I would like to appeal to our people to remain calm as we do everything to provide succour to everyone concerned. Some numbers have been provided to reach out to the Emergency Operation Centre.

“I know the 615 is operational but there are additional ones: 07049948057 and 08147672009. If you have any information regarding any persons who may still be trapped within that perimeter. Please call that number and we will respond to you.”

The governor appealed to those staying in any houses within 250 metres of ground zero to move out to government-provided accommodation until a structural integrity test was conducted on the buildings.

Makinde also warned individuals who might be planning to use the incident to commit crimes, noting that security agents would deal decisively with such individuals.

He promised that the state would continue to provide regular updates regarding its actions through the EMO and its various back channels on and off social media.

While addressing pressmen, the Head of the Emergency Operations, Prof. Alonge said an emergency response to the incident was to set up a team of about 40 doctors, 40 nurses and 25 medical students at the University College Hospital, Ibadan.

He added that injured victims received medical attention in private and government hospitals and most were in stable condition.

“Apart from doctors and nurses, we have added to our team physiotherapists, and clinical psychologists. They were on the ground yesterday to assess the psychological state of the survivors of this unfortunate incident.”

Also speaking on the security angle, the Special Adviser on Security to the governor, Owoseni, said the incident area had been secured to ensure that hoodlums do not perpetrate crimes due to the explosion.

However, he corrected misgivings and misinformation about the incident, saying, “We want to use this opportunity to correct misgivings. People have come out to say that Boko Haram elements have been allowed to invade Oyo State, especially Ibadan. This is incorrect.

“Some people have also said a helicopter flew over the place and dropped the bomb. That is, in its entirety, incorrect too. People have said construction sites around that place had used dynamite, and in the course of that, the incident happened. Let me say it is also not correct.

“We, from the security angle, can say that the preliminary evidence is indicative that for some time, people must have been storing explosives in that area, and it is not just fresh. It must have been something that had accumulated for some time. His Excellency has always said if you see something, you must say something.”

Tags: Explosion In IbadanIbadanNational Emergency Management AgencyNEMAOyo State Latest News
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Nigerian Passport for South Africa Visa
News

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

The Nigeria Immigration Service has announced an upward review of the cost of obtaining the Nigerian Standard Passport, effective September...

Read moreDetails
Apostle Jeremiah Adeyeye
News

Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

A cleric, Apostle Jeremiah Adeyeye, has disclosed that President Bola Tinubu needs to be prayerful to complete his first term....

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Mohammed Aziz bookseller in Morocco Who Has Read Over 4,000 Books In His Library

Meet Bookseller Who Has Read Over 4,000 Books In His Library

3 years ago
Prophet TB Joshua

BREAKING: Akoko-Born African No 1 Televangelist, Prophet T.B. Joshua Died 6 Days To 58th Birthday

4 years ago

Popular News

  • Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation

    Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Imo Governor Approves N104,000 Minimum Wage For Workers

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
  • Imo Governor Approves N104,000 Minimum Wage For Workers August 27, 2025
January 2024
SMTWTFS
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031 
« Dec   Feb »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights