• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Ministers’ Sack Looms As Buhari Supervises Appraisal

by ReportersAtLarge
October 12, 2021
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
President Muhammadu Buhari

Muhammadu Buhari

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

There are chances that President Muhammadu Buhari will sack more ministers when the ongoing performance appraisal is completed.

The president alluded to this on Monday at the opening of a two-day Mid-Term Ministerial Performance Review Retreat organised to assess the achievements of the nine key priorities of the administration and the performances of top government functionaries.

ADVERTISEMENT

The retreat is being attended by ministers, permanent secretaries and other top government officials.

Buhari said that he will sit through all the sessions to listen to the cumulative assessment of the administration’s performance over the last 2 years.

REPORTERS AT LARGE recalls that during the past reviews, the president only participated in the opening sessions and allowed the assessors to preside over the remaining days.

RelatedPosts

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

President Buhari Monday participated in the discussions on the best approach and strategies to implement planned policies, programmes and projects that could diversify the economy away from its dependence on oil revenue while sustaining the current economic growth trajectory.

In his speech on Monday, the president warned all ministers and permanent secretaries to take issues relating to the implementation of their mandates towards the attainment of the objectives of his administration seriously.

President Buhari said the idea of the assessment was to identify weak areas to strengthen the ability of the government to meet the expectations of Nigerians.

“Two years and some months into the second term, the tradition of subjecting our projects and programmes implementation to independent and critical self-review has taken firm roots through sector reporting during cabinet meetings and at retreats,” he said.

The president said the retreat had been designed to review the performance of each minister in delivering the ministerial mandates, including programmes and projects assigned to them upon their appointment in 2019; identify key impediments to implementation; and re-strategise on how to accelerate delivery of results, given the current economic situation.

He said it also provided the opportunity to effectively evaluate the activities of the ministries over the last two years in delivering the promises made to Nigerians.

President Buhari, at the retreat, unveiled the presidential priorities performance management system.

He said the performance management system and dashboard, which had been in effect since January this year, had provided him with the opportunity to track projects in real-time with live data.

REPORTERS AT LARGE recalls that the president had in September fired the Ministers of Agriculture, Mohammed Sabo Nanono, and his counterpart in the Ministry of Power, Saleh Mamman over poor performance.

They were the first ministers to be sacked by the president since he assumed office in 2015.

In a statement, Buhari through his spokesman, Femi Adesina, said the removal of Nanono and Mamman was a sequel to the “Tradition of subjecting our projects and programmes implementation to independent and critical self-review” through sector reporting during cabinet meetings and at retreats.

Meanwhile, there were expectations that the president would sack more ministers on October 1, but he did not.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, while speaking, said the 878 contracts approved by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) mostly targeted the provision of infrastructure geared towards enabling faster economic growth and development.

Mustapha said the key focus of this mid-term ministerial retreat was to review the status of progress towards the delivery of the nine priority areas.

He said annual targets had been split into quarterly intermediate targets at the output and outcome levels to create an Early Warning System (EWS) and to address the issue of lack of intermediate targets.

The SGF said his office will be submitting quarterly progress reports on the implementation of the ministerial mandates to the president to keep him apprised of the level of achievement of the deliverables against set targets.

“The outcome of the retreat is expected to pave the way to accelerate the delivery of government policies, programmes, and projects over the remaining 19 months.

“Therefore, much is expected of us as ministers, permanent secretaries and heads of strategic government agencies if we must deliver on the president’s legacy projects,” he said.

President Buhari, it was gathered, was not satisfied with the performance of some of the ministers whose names were said to have been compiled for necessary action.

Presidency sources said the president might have delayed the submission of names of new personalities to replace Nanono and Mamman to accommodate those who will equally take over from more ministers that failed to meet up with performance targets after the retreat.

Speaking on the development, a retired Permanent Secretary, Mr Olaniyi Ayodele Afolayan, said that one of the ways to manage performance was to use relevant tools that would ensure everybody got their roles by giving them their key performance indicators.

“To balance it, if you give people performance indicators, you must give them the tools and the resources to work with it. That is the expectation. If this is done, Nigerians should expect better service delivery,” Afolayan said.

Another retired permanent secretary who does not want to be named said the president was in a race against time.

“He has less than two years to deliver his legacy projects; to prove to Nigerians that he did well during his eight years as president.

“I wish he showed this kind of optimism from the first year of his administration by assessing his ministers and other people in the position of trust and sacked those who performed below expectation. It will have served as deterrence. Sadly, the president gave the impression that once you are appointed you will not be removed and therefore, many of them went to sleep on duty,” he said.

Tags: BREAKIG NEWSMuhammadu Buhari
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

New JAMB Registrar Professor Segun Aina
News

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

by ReportersAtLarge
May 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has named a new JAMB Registrar to succeed Professor Is-haq Oloyede. The historic JAMB appointment of Professor...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde signing the 2026 Oyo State Security Regulation law executive order.
News

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

Governor Seyi Makinde has signed a historic executive order establishing strict Oyo State security regulation for all local defense units....

Read moreDetails
Archbishop Bishop Aladekugbe on Oyo State School Abduction
News

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

The recent Oyo State school abduction in Oriire has triggered mass condemnation from religious leaders. Archbishop Aladekugbe has warned politicians...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Gunmen - Bandits Terrorists Attacks in Nigeria

JUST IN: Bandits Launch Another Deadly Attack, Abduct 100 People In One Day In Zamfara

5 years ago
Honourable Yakubu Dogara

Budget Padding: 206 Reps Demand Dogara’s Resignation

10 years ago

Popular News

  • Zaccheus Adedeji FIRS Chairman - Zacch Adedeji addressing an economic summit on Nigeria tax reform

    Nigeria Tax Reform: Zacch Adedeji And Public Trust Issues

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Nigeria Tax Reform: Zacch Adedeji And Public Trust Issues May 21, 2026
  • Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack May 21, 2026
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar May 21, 2026
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation May 20, 2026
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction May 20, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights