• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News Metro

Revealed! How 23 Remaining Abducted Kaduna Train Passengers Regained Freedom

by ReportersAtLarge
October 6, 2022
in Metro, Featured
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Abducted Abuja Kaduna Train Attack
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

The remaining 23 passengers abducted from the Abuja-Kaduna train Wednesday regained their freedom after months of intrigues and horse-trading.

Their release followed intervention by a committee set up by the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some family members of the victims yesterday confirmed the release of their loved ones to Daily Trust in Kaduna.

The Secretary, Chief of Defence Staff Action Committee (CDSAC), Professor Usman Yusuf, in a statement issued on Thursday, announced that the federal government has secured the release of the remaining 23 victims of the train attack.

“I am pleased to announce to the nation and the world that at 1600Hrs. (4:00pm) today, Wednesday, 5-10-2022, the seven-man Presidential Committee assembled by the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General L E O Irabor, secured the release and took custody of all the 23 remaining passengers held hostage by Boko Haram terrorists.

RelatedPosts

Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

“The nation owes a debt of gratitude to the Nigerian military under the leadership of the CDS who conceived and guided the operation from start to finish.

“All sister security agencies and the federal ministry of transportation contributed immensely to this operation.

“The unwavering support of the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari is what made it all possible. Members of this Committee are grateful for the rare honour and privilege to be part of this humanitarian operation. May God Almighty heal our wounds and bring peace to our land,” Prof. Yusuf said.

Daily Trust recalls that on March 28th, 2022, a Kaduna-bound train was attacked by gunmen with several persons killed, injured and abducted.

Since the incident, there had been a series of negotiations, protests and ransom payments to secure the release of the victims.

Daily Trust recalls that President Muhammadu Buhari had sometime in August, met with the relatives of the abducted victim in Abuja, where he assured them that efforts were being made to ensure the safe rescue of the remaining persons in captivity.

However, Yusuf said the seven-man Presidential Committee assembled by the Chief of Defence Staff secured the release and took custody of the remaining 23 passengers held hostage by Boko Haram terrorists following the attack on the Abuja to Kaduna train.

What is not yet clear is whether ransom was paid or not before the release of the abductees.

Over N2bn was reportedly paid in ransom before the release of those who earlier regained their freedom.

Confirming the release of their loved ones to our correspondent, Muhammadu Sabiu, whose younger brother, Abdullahi Muhammad, a National Youth Corps Member (NYSC) was on the train that faithful day, said, “Yes, I can confirm to you that the head of the committee called to break the news to us.”

He said though he has not seen his brother face to face, he told Daily Trust that the victims were on their way to Kaduna from Abuja.

“I can only confirm to you that the victims have been released and they are on their way back to Kaduna. We are right now praying for their safe arrival and reuniting with them. I also want to commend the government’s efforts.”

Tasiu Muhammad Barau also confirmed to Daily Trust that his brother, Abdullah was receiving treatment at a hospital in Abuja.

He said, “I spoke with my brother Abdullah who is one of the Kaduna train victims and he told me he is receiving treatment in a hospital in Abuja.”

Also, a family member of Aminu Usman popularly called Dan Nasarawa, confirmed that they were contacted.

He said, “We have been contacted that Aminu has been released. We are now waiting to know when he will be handed over to us.”

He said he could not confirm whether the released victims were in Kaduna or had arrived in Abuja adding. “What is important is that he and the other passengers have been released.”

How negotiators sealed deal

A source privy to the negotiations that led to the release of the captives described the process as torturous.

He said months of talks on both sides culminated in a nod from the terrorists, at the weekend, for representatives of the government to go to an agreed rendezvous to pick up the victims.

“But on arrival, the negotiators were shocked to face another round of talks as some gunmen, the bandits working with the insurgents, kicked against releasing the victims without any ransom payment.

“The deal was that the kidnappers had their own demands on the government. This was agreed in principle but at the last minute they shifted the goalpost.”

Daily Trust gathered that it took another round of pleadings and assurances before the victims were released to the negotiators.

“One of the agreements reached was for the government to open a dialogue with them for a broader resolution of some issues,” the source said.

Tags: Abuja-Kaduna Train AttackBREAKING NEWS
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Honourable Adedeji Dhikrullahi Olajide Odidiomo on Digital Security Technology
Metro

Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

Following recent Oyo state kidnapping cases, Hon Adedeji Dhikrullahi Stanley Olajide has pushed for digital security technology integration. The committee...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde on Oyo State School Abduction
Metro

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

by ReportersAtLarge
May 19, 2026
0

Following the tragic Oyo State school abductions, a major Oriire rescue operation is tracking the captors. Governor Seyi Makinde issued...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde speaking at a press briefing regarding the Oyo school kidnapping response.
Metro

Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

by ReportersAtLarge
May 18, 2026
0

Following the tragic Oyo school kidnapping, Governor Seyi Makinde security forces have launched a rescue mission. Several suspects are in...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Mr Ayodele Fayose

Murder Case: APC, Fayemi Plotting To Implicate Me, PDP Leaders ― Fayose

8 years ago
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike

Peter Obi Hero Of 2023 Presidential Election –Wike

3 years ago

Popular News

  • Bashorun Akinwale Akinwole - Wolekanle on Oriire banditry attack

    Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack May 21, 2026
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar May 21, 2026
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation May 20, 2026
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction May 20, 2026
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan May 20, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights