• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

CBN Probes Banks Over N23bn Diezani Funds

by ReportersAtLarge
May 10, 2016
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Godwin-emefiele-cbn-governor

Godwin Emefiele, CBN Governor

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Central Bank of Nigeria said on Monday that it was carrying out special investigations into the roles played by banks in certain financial transactions, especially the N23bn reportedly shared to officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission by officials of the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration to influence the outcome of the last general elections.

The apex bank said in a statement by the Acting Director, Corporate Communications Department, Mr. Isaac Okoroafor, that the special investigations would enable the CBN to determine the level of involvement of the banks as well as persons involved in questionable financial transactions.

ADVERTISEMENT

The CBN stated that while it was aware of some of the investigations being carried out by law enforcement agencies, it would not allow the banking sector to be used as a conduit for illicit transactions.

It assured all customers of Deposit Money Banks in the country that despite the probe, the safety and stability of the banking sector remained a priority of the CBN.

The statement read, “The CBN wishes to inform all customers of Deposit Money Banks, other stakeholders, and the general public that it is fully aware and indeed a part of the ongoing investigation of certain financial transactions in some banks by law enforcement authorities.

RelatedPosts

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

“The CBN is also carrying out its own special examinations and investigations to ascertain the veracity of some allegations as well as the extent and persons that may be involved in such activities.

“The bank will like to reiterate that financial systems stability remains a priority and therefore assures customers and stakeholders that it will not allow the banking system to be used as a conduit for any illicit transactions.

“Some of these investigations are routine and only relate to isolated transactions; therefore, it is important to state that the safety and soundness of the Nigerian banking industry remains strong.”

Our correspondents gathered that the CBN had deployed a fresh team of investigators and forensic accountants in all the Deposit Money Banks as part of investigations into the alleged N23bn scam.

Top CBN and bank officials disclosed on Monday that scores of investigators were already in the banks surfing through their operations systems in order to trace the sources and destinations of some transactions that had been flagged.

A source close to the development said, “Our men are in some banks already; it is part of the CBN’s independent findings into the alleged N23bn scam.

“The teams we have deployed are not just focusing on the three banks whose CEOs were recently detained and released by the EFCC; they are focusing on all the commercial banks. We do this kind of investigations from time to time as part of our routine work, but this one is focusing on the N23bn scam.”

Independent findings showed that CBN investigators were also examining the 2015 financial reports of the banks to see if certain transactions were reflected in their annual reports.

There are reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission may arrest some bank chief executive officers this week as part of the ongoing probe of the N23bn scam.

Officials of the EFCC had last week arrested the Managing Directors of Fidelity Bank Plc, Mr. Nnamdi Okonwo; Sterling Bank, Mr. Yemi Adeola; and Access Bank, Mr. Herbert Wigwe.

The bank chiefs were released on Friday evening after pledging to cooperate fully with the EFCC and return when needed.

Tags: BanksCBNCentral Bank of NigeriaCorruption in NigeriaCrimeeconomyFundsNigeriaProbes
SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

New JAMB Registrar Professor Segun Aina
News

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

by ReportersAtLarge
May 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has named a new JAMB Registrar to succeed Professor Is-haq Oloyede. The historic JAMB appointment of Professor...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde signing the 2026 Oyo State Security Regulation law executive order.
News

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

Governor Seyi Makinde has signed a historic executive order establishing strict Oyo State security regulation for all local defense units....

Read moreDetails
Archbishop Bishop Aladekugbe on Oyo State School Abduction
News

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

The recent Oyo State school abduction in Oriire has triggered mass condemnation from religious leaders. Archbishop Aladekugbe has warned politicians...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Africa Takes Bold Steps To Combat Food

Africa Takes Bold Steps To Combat Foodborne Diseases: ACAFP Urges Unified Action for Safer Food Systems

6 months ago
Ekiti State Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi

Group Commends Fayemi For Reappointing Ojo-Lanre As SSA Tourism

6 years ago

Popular News

  • Bashorun Akinwale Akinwole - Wolekanle on Oriire banditry attack

    Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack May 21, 2026
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar May 21, 2026
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation May 20, 2026
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction May 20, 2026
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan May 20, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights