• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Breaking: Court Of Appeal Voids Orubebe’s Conviction, Overrules CCT

by ReportersAtLarge
June 14, 2017
in Featured, News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
godsday-orubebe

Godsday Orubebe

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja, on Wednesday, nullified the decision of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, which found former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe guilty of allegation that he falsely declared his assets in 2007.

In a unanimous judgement, a three-man panel of Justices of the appellate court led by Justice Mohammed Abdul Aboki, voided Orubebe’s conviction on the premise that the CCT verdict occasioned a miscarriage of justice against him.

Orubebe had in his Notice of Appeal marked CA/A/633c/2016, urged the appellate court to not only set-aside judgment the Justice Danladi Umar-led tribunal delivered against him on October 4, 2016, but to equally discharge and acquit him of the charge.

ADVERTISEMENT

The tribunal had in its verdict, said it was satisfied that Orubebe shielded his ownership of Plot 2057 Asokoro District, Abuja.

Justice Umar who maintained that there was merit in the one-count amended charge the Federal Government entered against the former Minister, held that the said property should be forfeited to the government.

RelatedPosts

US To Withdraw All Troops From Syria — Report

37 Killed In Nigeria Mines Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Reports

Fasting Across Faiths: 5 Shared Spiritual Threads Between Ramadan and Lent

The tribunal noted that though Orubebe claimed that he had already sold the land before he submitted the assets declaration form, the title documents still had his name six years after.

Though the tribunal confiscated the land from the defendant after it found him guilty of the offence of false declaration of assets contrary to section 15 of the CCB & Tribunal Act, Cap C15, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2007, it however declined to ban him from holding any public office.

Meanwhile, dissatisfied with the verdict, Orubebe, through his lawyer, Mr. Selekowei Larry, SAN, raised three grounds he said the appellate court should consider and nullify his conviction.

He prayed the appellate court to determine “Whether the tribunal was right in convicting the defendant for false declaration of plot 2057, Asokoro District, Abuja.

“Whether the tribunal was right in holding that the said plot 2057 remained or remains the defendant’s property despite exhibits D1, D2, and D3 being documentary evidence of transfer of interest executed in favour of one Divention Properties Ltd by the defendant.

As well as, “Whether the tribunal was right in suo motu raising the issue of non registration of Divention Properties Ltd’s title in respect of plot 2057 Asokoro District, Abuja and convicting the defendant thereon without granting party opportunity to be heard thereon”.

The embattled ex-Minister prayed the tribunal to allow the appeal on the premise that the prosecution woefully failed to prove the false declaration of assets against him.

According to him, “The said plot said not to be declared in the charge on September 26, 2007 was not yet given to the appellant as at then.

“The appellant did not make any declaration of assets on June 29, 2011 as alleged on the charge. He only made a declaration on June 28, 2011, by which time he was no longer the owner of plot 2057. The plot 2057 Asokoro District, Abuja, was a gift of empty land by the respondent (FRN) which he received on June 13, 2011 and parted with the same day.

“Having sold the said plot and executed D1, D2 and D3, he could not be reasonably expected to still declare it as his assets.

“That the tribunal based its decision on an issue that was not put before it, but raised suo motu by it without giving parties opportunity to be heard, thereby rendering it a nullity

“Accordingly, that the decision of the tribunal be set aside, the conviction quashed and the appellant be discharged and acquitted”.

While upholding the appeal on Wednesday, the appellate court panel held that the tribunal went beyond the case that was brought before it by the prosecution.

The court held that Orubebe’s trial was not based on his none declaration of title deed of the said property, but his alleged false declaration of his assets.

It stressed that as such, the unregistered instrument of transfer of the said property was admissible evidence in proof of the payment of purchase price, which showed that the property was already acquired by Divention Properties Ltd.

The appellate court stressed that the appellant could not have declared the same property he had parted with.

The court faulted the CCT for raising the issue of non- registration of title deed of the property suo motu (by itself).

“On the whole, it is our view that this appeal succeeded on its merit and is therefore allowed. The appellant is accordingly discharged and acquitted”, the court held.

Tags: AbujaCourt of AppealDemocracyGodsday OrubebeJudiciaruOrubebe
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

President of the United States of America, Donald Trump
WorldNews

US To Withdraw All Troops From Syria — Report

by ReportersAtLarge
February 19, 2026
0

The United States is planning to withdraw all of its 1,000 troops from Syria over the next two months, according...

Read moreDetails
News

37 Killed In Nigeria Mines Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Reports

by ReportersAtLarge
February 18, 2026
0

At least 37 miners have died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a mining site in central Nigeria, the Reuters news...

Read moreDetails
Fasting - Ramadan and Lent
For The Record

Fasting Across Faiths: 5 Shared Spiritual Threads Between Ramadan and Lent

by ReportersAtLarge
February 18, 2026
0

Fasting is a powerful spiritual practice observed by millions around the world, especially during Ramadan in Islam and Lent in...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

President Muhammadu Buhari

APC Governors Celebrate Buhari At 79, Exppress Hope For Nigeria

4 years ago
Hillary Clinton

Clinton, Sanders Hit Final Stretch Of Nominating Contest

10 years ago

Popular News

  • Bola Tinubu on Nigeria Democracy Day

    Tinubu Defends Electoral Act 2026 Assent As Opposition Reacts

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • 37 Killed In Nigeria Mines Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Reports

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US To Withdraw All Troops From Syria — Report

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • President Tinubu, Tourism Sector Is Dying, Weeping Needs Your Attention.

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fasting Across Faiths: 5 Shared Spiritual Threads Between Ramadan and Lent

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Tinubu Defends Electoral Act 2026 Assent As Opposition Reacts February 19, 2026
  • US To Withdraw All Troops From Syria — Report February 19, 2026
  • President Tinubu, Tourism Sector Is Dying, Weeping Needs Your Attention. February 19, 2026
  • 37 Killed In Nigeria Mines Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Reports February 18, 2026
  • Fasting Across Faiths: 5 Shared Spiritual Threads Between Ramadan and Lent February 18, 2026
June 2017
SMTWTFS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
« May   Jul »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights