THE Saudi-led coalition battling Yemen’s Houthi rebels says it has intercepted a ballistic missile near Riyadh, Saudi state media report.
Witnesses in the Saudi capital posted pictures on social media showing a cloud of smoke in the air, and there were no reports of any casualties.
The Houthis’ al-Masirah TV said the missile targeted a meeting of Saudi leaders at the al-Yamama Palace.
Last month, a similar missile came close to hitting Riyadh’s airport.
Saudi Arabia and the US have accused Iran of giving the Houthis that missile.
Iran has denied arming the rebels, who have been fighting a war against Yemen’s government and the Saudi-led coalition since March 2015.
A report on al-Masirah’s website cited the Houthis’ Missile Forces as announcing the launch of a Burkan-2 missile on Tuesday afternoon “in response to the heinous crimes committed by the US-Saudi aggression against the people of Yemen”.
The missile targeted a “meeting of the leadership of the Saudi regime in al-Yamama Palace in Riyadh”, during which Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was expected to discuss the kingdom’s annual budget, Al-Masirah said.
The palace is the main headquarters of the king’s office and the royal court.
Minutes later, Saudi state-run al-Ikhbariya TV reported that a missile had been intercepted south of the capital.