Former President Goodluck Jonathan has warned that no life must be lost as youths continue to protest against police brutality.
Jonathan said this in a Facebook post on Tuesday.
He wrote, “No Nigerian blood needs to be spilt or life lost during a peaceful protest that seeks to advance our country. We may hold different views on national issues, but there is no doubt that most people desire the same thing for Nigeria: a place where we can all live out the full potential of our God-given abilities. I implore everyone to exercise restraint as we walk through these challenging times.”
Thousands of youths have been protesting against police brutality, harassment and killings by policemen across major cities since last week.
Rights group, Amnesty International, said on Monday that 10 persons had been killed in the protests.
Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has set up the Special Weapons and Tactics Team to replace the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The prospective members of the new team, who would undergo tactical training next week, will undergo a psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility for the new assignment.