• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

IGP Yet To Create SWAT To Replace SARS, This Is What He Did – Police Consultant

by ReportersAtLarge
October 17, 2020
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu

Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

Tosan Eyiwunmi, a security expert and consultant to the Nigeria Police has said that contrary to the widespread belief, the Inspector-General of Police was yet to create any unit to replace Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).

Speaking for the first time since the crisis started, Weekend Vanguard reports Eyiwunmi who is the CEO of Crime Fighters as saying that the IG only said that a new unit, in the form of SWAT would be created to replace SARS, meaning he was only telling the people what the police would do, following the disbandment of SARS. “SWAT which means Special Weapons and Tactics is a generic word in the security corridor across the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Recall that for close to two weeks now, Nigerian youths have been on the streets demonstrating against police brutality especially ones perpetuated by the SARS.

Apart from SARS, the demonstrators are demanding a comprehensive reform of the Nigeria Police, a review of the condition of service and improved welfare for the police. And does appear the demands are growing as days go by.

The protest which has escalated to all states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory has been received by the international community like a raging wildfire.

RelatedPosts

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

In his reaction to the general discontent, President Mohammadu Buhari, after a meeting with the police hierarchy directed the IG to disband the notorious SARS. In compliance with the presidential directive, the IG announced that SARS had been proscribed. He added that a new outfit, in the form of SWAT would be created to replace the much-vilified SARS.

The IG’s pronouncement triggered more demonstrations. The protesting youths feel the government was playing on their intelligence by substituting one form of SARS with another under a different name.

Eyiwunmi explained that SWAT is used in America, it is used in Germany and even in Britain. It is not a word that is coined by the Nigeria Police or by the IG. And As it were, he has not constituted anybody or unit. He was just explaining to members of the public that a unit like SWAT would come in place of the dissolved SARS. As we speak, there is no new unit like that as he wanted to reassure Nigerians that there won’t be any vacuum in the security network of the nation. He was assuring the people that the Nigeria Police Force would live up to its responsibility by constituting another body that would carry out the duties that would be in tandem with the functions of SWAT.”

Explaining further, Eyiwunmi said, “SWAT is usually and generally a body that is expected to respond to violent crimes and they work with intelligence and technology, which is different from SARS. SWAT is not a body that you see every day on the road. But because the public misunderstood him, that is why there has been this negative reaction.”

She insisted the IG has not created another unit. “That is in the pipeline. He was only saying, that is what he intended to do. Before they put it together, those people would have to be specially trained because SWAT is a technical, tactical that would have to be trained by professionals. It is not a place you put in every Dick, Tom and Harry because it requires well-trained personnel.”

She informed that SWAT is not the regular policemen one finds on the road or streets on patrol. “Just like the FBI in America is not the regular policemen one finds everywhere, that is how SWAT operatives would function.”

She clarified the misconceptions some analysts have propounded against the formation of SWAT when there was already in place a Mobile Police Unit.

“The Mobile Police is created to quell riots but SWAT is meant to work on highly technical matters bothering on intelligence and mostly operate in plain clothes. For instance, in the case of kidnapping, you can’t wear police uniform to go and arrest kidnappers because you would have given yourself out already. Before they go, they would have done their investigation and worked on the intelligence gathered.”

Tags: BREAKINGBREAKING NEWSEnd SARSNigeiraNigeria PolicePoliceSARSSpecial Anti-Robbery SquadSWAT
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Governor Seyi Makinde signing the 2026 Oyo State Security Regulation law executive order.
News

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

Governor Seyi Makinde has signed a historic executive order establishing strict Oyo State security regulation for all local defense units....

Read moreDetails
Archbishop Bishop Aladekugbe on Oyo State School Abduction
News

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

The recent Oyo State school abduction in Oriire has triggered mass condemnation from religious leaders. Archbishop Aladekugbe has warned politicians...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde on Oyo State School Abduction
Metro

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

by ReportersAtLarge
May 19, 2026
0

Following the tragic Oyo State school abductions, a major Oriire rescue operation is tracking the captors. Governor Seyi Makinde issued...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

bukola-saraki

2019: What PDP Leaders Offered Saraki

8 years ago
governor ayodel fayose Ekiti State

VAT Increament: FG Insensitive To Nigerians Plight -Fayose

10 years ago

Popular News

  • Governor Seyi Makinde signing the 2026 Oyo State Security Regulation law executive order.

    Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi!

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation May 20, 2026
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction May 20, 2026
  • Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi! May 20, 2026
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde May 19, 2026
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win May 19, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights