• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

Armenian Mass Killing Was Genocide, Biden Declares

by ReportersAtLarge
April 24, 2021
in Featured, WorldNews
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
President Joe Biden

Joe Biden

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

Joe Biden has become the first United States president to issue a statement, formally describing the 1915 massacre of Armenians as a genocide.

The killings took place in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire, the forerunner of modern-day Turkey. But the issue is highly sensitive, with Turkey acknowledging atrocities but rejecting the term “genocide”.

A US official said the move was not meant to place blame on modern-day Turkey.

However, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu immediately tweeted that his government would “not take lessons from anyone on our history”.

Previous US administrations have not used the term in formal statements amid concerns over damaging relations with Turkey, a Nato ally.

RelatedPosts

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

Armenia says 1.5 million people were killed in 1915-16 in an effort to wipe out the ethnic group. They regard it as genocide, and many historians and governments agree the killings were orchestrated.

Turkey accepts that atrocities were committed, estimating that 300,000 died. But it argues there was no systematic attempt to destroy the Christian Armenian people and says many innocent Muslim Turks also died in the turmoil of war.

Mr Biden’s statement, released as Armenia commemorates the start of the mass killings, said: “We remember the lives of all those who died in the Ottoman-era Armenian genocide and recommit ourselves to preventing such an atrocity from ever again occurring.

“And we remember so that we remain ever-vigilant against the corrosive influence of hate in all its forms.”

He had previously welcomed a move by the US House of Representatives, which in 2019 voted overwhelmingly to recognised the mass killings as a genocide.

A Biden official told reporters that the decision to use the term formally as the administration turned its focus to human rights.

In 1981, then-President Then Ronald Reagan referred to the “Armenian genocide” in a proclamation on the Holocaust, but others have shied away from using the term since.

The administration of Mr Biden’s immediate predecessor Donald Trump said it did not consider the killings a genocide. Mr Trump instead called it “one of the worst mass atrocities of the 20th century”.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said Mr Biden’s words had “honoured the memory” of those who had died, adding in a tweet: “The US has once again demonstrated its unwavering commitment to protecting human rights and universal values.”

But the Turkish foreign ministry responded angrily, saying in a statement they “reject and denounce in the strongest terms the statement”, saying it had been “made under the pressure of radical Armenian circles and anti-Turkey groups”.

It warned the move would “open a deep wound that undermines our mutual trust and friendship”.

Tags: ArmeniaBREAKING NEWSJoe BidenTurkeyUnited States
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Baltasar Ebang-Engonga
WorldNews

Ex-Equatorial Guinea Anti-Corruption Chief Jailed For Corruption

by ReportersAtLarge
August 27, 2025
0

Baltasar Ebang Engonga, former Director-General of Equatorial Guinea’s National Financial Investigation Agency (ANIF), has been sentenced to eight years in...

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump Social Media App
WorldNews

Trump Slams New 15% Tariff On Nigeria, 36 Other African Countries [Full List]

by ReportersAtLarge
August 1, 2025
0

The United States has officially imposed a new 15% import tariff on Nigeria and several other African countries, effective immediately....

Read moreDetails
Donald Trump disqualified from the 2024 US Election
WorldNews

Donald Trump Suffering From Chronic Vein Condition, White House Confirms

by ReportersAtLarge
July 17, 2025
0

Donald Trump is suffering from a chronic vein condition, the White House announced on Thursday, after days of speculation regarding...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Shina Peller Annual NUJ Ramadan Lecture

Annual NUJ Ramadan Lecture: Peller Urges Journalists To Promote Peace And Stay Away From Violence

4 years ago
Yinka Ayefele and his triplets

I Get Emotional Whenever My Triplets Ask Why I Can’t Walk – Yinka Ayefele

2 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
April 2021
SMTWTFS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
« Mar   May »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights