• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home Featured

NUPENG Gives Military 24-Hour Ultimatum To Vacate Oil Firm

by ReportersAtLarge
September 6, 2018
in Featured, News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
NUPENG
Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) has given the military 24 hours ultimatum to vacate the premises of an oil and gas firm to avert a nationwide strike.

At a media briefing in Lagos on Thursday, NUPENG President, Mr Williams Akporeha, called on the Chief of Army Staff to withdraw soldiers from the premises of Sterling Energy Exploration Company (SEEPCO) and its drilling arm, British Oil and Gas Ltd located in Warri, Delta.

“NUPENG as an organization has written to the Chief of Army Staff that soldiers be removed from the work site, that what we have on ground is not a terrorist situation but an industrial relations matter.

“Our prayers right now is that those soldiers that are there be redeployed within the next 24 hours or else we shall have no option but to embark on a nationwide industrial action,’’ Akporeha said.

ALSO READ: Boko Haram Kill Two, Abduct 25 In Bus Attack

RelatedPosts

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

He also called on the Delta State Governor to wade into the matter, adding that the union had directed its members in Warri to immediately shut down over intimidation by their employer and harassment by the military.

Akporeha disclosed that over 2,000 of its members had been sacked by the oil and gas companies for active unionism, describing the action as oppressive and a height of high handedness on the part of the firms.

He said the firm had seven land rigs drilling in Kwale, Warri but that only two of them belonged to the union, adding that efforts by the other five groups to be unionised was resisted by the multinational corporation.

Akporeha said the union in an attempt to resolve the matter, issued a press statement but was shocked that soldiers were brought in forcing members to renounce their membership of the union in order to keep their jobs.

ALSO READ: Vote-Buying: A Culture Of Shame And Stereotyping Poverty

He alleged that the firm owned by Indians, forced workers with the help of the military into accepting working conditions that were not in line with labour laws of Nigeria.

He urged Nigerians to rise up against the practice as no Nigerian could do same in any other country.

“When the union decided to question why the company decided to continue to resist the rights of workers to unionize, what we saw was deployment of military troops to hound and evacuate those workers that agreed to be part of the union.

“We feel that there are some processes that are no more fashionable in a democratic and a decent society than bringing soldiers to intimate harmless workers who are asking for their rights and especially just mere rights to identify with a union.

“As we speak, soldiers are distributing new employment forms of none identification with union to members if they must remain on the job.

ALSO READ: Shaping Nigeria’s Digital Future Through Positive Legislation

“We have directed our members in Delta State to withdraw their services in protest of this unfortunate situation and we using this opportunity to also ask the governor of the state to immediately intervene to avoid turning his state into a dance floor for industrial crisis,” he said.

Akporeha said that if the management of the oil and gas firms were not called to order, the union will embark on full scale nationwide strike.

The NUPENG president noted that negotiations with the management of the companies failed because they came up with “a fraudulent, unacceptable idea” that they were ready to remit check off dues of workers to the union without allowing the workers to unionise.

Tags: NUPENGSEEPCOWarriWilliams Akporeha
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

News

Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

by ReportersAtLarge
August 29, 2025
0

The Bible Society of Nigeria (BSN) has urged for inclusion of Nigerian youths in governance and policy making, saying their...

Read moreDetails
Seyi Makinde SAfER: From Poverty Alleviation To Wealth Creation
News

Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

This mischievous claim, made by an APC lawmaker who is notorious for not attending plenaries and echoed by his party...

Read moreDetails
Nigerian Passport for South Africa Visa
News

JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

by ReportersAtLarge
August 28, 2025
0

The Nigeria Immigration Service has announced an upward review of the cost of obtaining the Nigerian Standard Passport, effective September...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

President Muhammadu Buhari

Recession: APC’s Faulty Policies Responsible, Not Jonathan —PDP

9 years ago
Microsoft Internet Explorer

Microsoft Finally Kills 25-Year-Old Internet Explorer

5 years ago

Popular News

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100%

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • WorldNews

Recent Posts

  • Why Youths Must Have a Say In Governance – BSN President August 29, 2025
  • Oyo Government Slams APC Over False ₦300bn Loan Claim August 28, 2025
  • JUST IN: Immigration Increases Passport Fees By 100% August 28, 2025
  • Cleric Sends Strong Message To Tinubu, Obasanjo, Alaafin, Atiku, Others August 28, 2025
  • NiMet Predicts Floods In Lagos, Ogun, Six Others This Week August 28, 2025
September 2018
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30 
« Aug   Oct »
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2024 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights