• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

How My Election Was Funded —Fayose

by ReportersAtLarge
June 22, 2016
in News
Reading Time: 4 mins read
0
governor ayodel fayose Ekiti State

Ayodele Fayose

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

Ekiti State governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State, has revealed how his election was funded two years ago.

According to Fayose, in a statement made available to newsmen, on Wednesday,  his election was “funded two years ago by the Zenith Bank Plc, fundraising, donations from friends and associates, as well as sales of campaign souvenirs.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In the statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Idowu Adelusi, Fayose also denied that he received any funds from the office of the national security adviser to fund his election.

Fayose said: “I have no financial transaction whatsoever with the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) under Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd) and former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, either by cash, cheque or electronic transfer.”

Fayose challenged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to “publish statements made by Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, his son or any other person associated with money from the NSA office where they claimed they gave him money for the election,” saying “EFCC is only acting a movie scripted, produced and directed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) government of President Muhammadu Buhari just to silence me being a major opposition voice in the country.”

RelatedPosts

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

The governor said “the management of Zenith Bank, which majorly funded my election, called me to a meeting, where I was assured that fund would be provided for my election.  I was asked to nominate a trusted ally to be related with and I nominated Mr Abiodun Agbele.

“All the payments into Abiodun Agbele’s account domiciled in Zenith Bank were directly from Zenith Bank. In actual fact, the account was opened by Zenith Bank hurriedly at that time and Abiodun Agbele’s identity card which ought to have been collected before the account was opened was only collected last week in the bank’s desperation to perfect the account obviously after submitting to the intimidation and harassment of the EFCC.

“Most of the funds posted into Agbele’s account were through the Ibadan, Akure and Lagos branches of the Zenith Bank and sometimes; they brought cash.

“Assuming but not conceding that cash moved from Lagos to Akure as being claimed by the EFCC in its usual manner of media trial, was meant for my election in Ekiti, why was the cash not moved to Ado Ekiti branch of Zenith Bank or the cash handed to me directly? Why was it deposited into Zenith Bank, Akure and did the bank make any report on the transaction to the appropriate authorities? Why did the bank send its bullion van to move the money from Akure Airport to their Akure branch if it was illegal money?

“I must say it categorically that I don’t have any link financially with Obanikoro and I know as a fact that he (Obanikoro) has not and cannot mention my name, as beneficiary of whatever money any company in which he has interest could have gotten from the ONSA if truly Obanikoro collected money from the ONSA as being claimed by the EFCC.

“Therefore, bringing Obanikoro and his son’s narrative or that the Zenith Bank is telling different stories, having been blackmailed and coerced into submission by the EFCC is a joke that will not fly.

“I wish to state further that if it becomes evidently clear that those who willingly provided money for my election can no longer stand by what they did, may be because of threat from the EFCC, I will not hesitate to name names.”

The governor, who challenged the EFCC to also beam its searchlights on the funding of APC elections, especially that of President Buhari, said: “Since we are now in the era in which financial assistance from Nigerians to fund elections is being criminalised, the international community, especially those funding EFCC must insist that the commission probes the funding of APC elections before further funds are released to the commission.”

“Most importantly, Nigerians are interested in the $60 million allegedly donated to the APC campaign by Sahara Energy, on which EFCC has been forced to suspend investigation.

He said it was obvious that he has become the main headache of President Buhari’s government, adding that “what they are doing now is part of their grand plots to intimidate and harass me into submission, but I am not someone that can be cowed by threats of incarceration and death.

“I advise that they should keep their gun powder dry and wait till the end of my tenure in 2018 and I want to assure them that I will be available to answer any of their questions, no matter how unreasonable.

“Furthermore, Nigerians should know that I have been persecuted by the EFCC before, using phantom N1.2 billion poultry scam and I came out victorious. I was not only acquitted, I got N10 million judgment against the EFCC and my impeachment that was orchestrated by the EFCC was quashed by the Supreme Court.

“Nigerians should recall that it was part of this plot to get back at me because of my critical stance on Buhari’s government that the Ekiti State House of Assembly was invaded by men of the Department of State Service (DSS), placement of travel ban on me and lately, illegal frozen of my account by the EFCC.

“I therefore make bold to state that in the overall interest of democracy and well-being of Nigerians, I will continue to speak my mind on issues bordering on governance in Nigeria. I will not be intimidated!”

Meanwhile, Ahmed Makarfi-led national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has observed that the freezing of the Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose personal account by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was a politically-motivated witch-hunt.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by Prince Dayo Adeyeye, member, PDP National Caretaker Committee in charge of publicity, the party had observed with dismay, “the  dangerous trend of politically-motivated trials and tyrannical administration” of President Buhari and the APC.

PDP demanded that the ruling party must stop the witch-hunt in the interest of peace and stability of our nation.

Tags: DemocracyEFCCekiti stateNaijaNigeriaNigeria newsPDPPOLITICS
SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Governor Seyi Makinde on Oyo State School Abduction
Metro

Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

by ReportersAtLarge
May 19, 2026
0

Following the tragic Oyo State school abductions, a major Oriire rescue operation is tracking the captors. Governor Seyi Makinde issued...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde speaking at a press briefing regarding the Oyo school kidnapping response.
Metro

Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

by ReportersAtLarge
May 18, 2026
0

Following the tragic Oyo school kidnapping, Governor Seyi Makinde security forces have launched a rescue mission. Several suspects are in...

Read moreDetails
Bola Ahmed Tinubu addressing a political coalition meeting in Nigeria - Tinubu Presidency
Opinion

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

by ReportersAtLarge
May 17, 2026
0

The Bola Tinubu presidency now faces its most isolating challenge as historic Nigerian economic reforms test public patience. This analysis...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Lionel Messi

REVEALED! Two Reasons Liverpool Will Not Bid For Messi

6 years ago
INEC-Chairman-Professor-Mahmood-Yakubu

Mega Party: INEC Verifies ADP’s Secretariat Ahead Of Registration

9 years ago

Popular News

  • Ekiti Senate Election Results - Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, Senator Yemi Adaramodu or Senator Cyril Oluwole Fasuyi

    Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi!

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Ekiti Senate Election Results: No Joy Yet for MOB, Adaramodu, Fasuyi! May 20, 2026
  • Oyo State School Abduction: Rescue Operation Ongoing – Makinde May 19, 2026
  • APC Senate Primaries Results: Heavyweights Lose, Governors Win May 19, 2026
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Makinde Deploys Troops To Rescue Victims May 18, 2026
  • Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM May 18, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights