• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Letter to Chinese Govt: Fayose Is A ‘Security Risk, Working Against national Interest’

by ReportersAtLarge
April 18, 2016
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
governor ayodel fayose Ekiti State

Ayodele Fayose

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

MORE reactions have trailed Ekiti Governor, Ayodele Fayose’s letter to the Chinese Government, asking it to refuse President Muhammadu Buhari’s request of $2 billion loan.

Chairmen of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) in Lagos State and other lawyers on Sunday condemned Fayose’s action, describing it as mere irritation and inconsequential.
President Buhari had last week paid a state visit to the People’s Republic of China with some state governors, the Central Bank governor and some ministers.

ADVERTISEMENT

The president had concluded negotiations for the loan and a currency swap deal with the Chinese authorities as part of efforts to revive the Nigerian economy in the face of dwindling oil revenues.

On April 12, Fayose had reportedly jetted out to China while Buhari was there, urging the Chinese authorities to refuse the facility being requested by the Nigerian Government.

He said “all Nigerians, irrespective of their political and religious affiliations were against any applications for new foreign loans.”

RelatedPosts

One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

This, he said, was on the grounds that servicing current debt burden already gulps over 25 per cent of the country’s annual budget.

Reacting to Fayose’s letter, a former Chairman of Ikeja Branch of NBA, Mr Onyekachi Ubani, described the letter as of no consequence, since negotiations had already been concluded.

“The letter by Fayose is similar to a situation of bringing a motion for a court injunction for a completed act.

“This letter is a mere irritation especially coming from a sitting governor; I will urge Nigerians and especially journalists to regard his letter as nothing, but a mere irritation.

“Negotiations are already concluded and the Chinese government are willing to release funds to Nigeria.

“Although, it is very disheartening that such a letter is coming from one of our governors, but I think it serves no purpose.”

Ubani, therefore, urged Nigerians to resist any act capable of disrupting the smooth running of government.

In the same vein, the Ikeja Branch Chairman of NBA, Mr Yinka Farobi, described the letter as “over stepping of one’s boundaries”.

“Fayose was elected as a state governor and not as the president of Nigeria.

“His letter is clearly out of the purview of his powers and I seriously condemn it,” he said.

Farobi also urged Nigerians to be supportive of moves aimed at transforming the Nigerian nation for growth.

Again, the Ikorodu NBA Branch Chairman, Mr Dotun Adetunji, described the letter as a show of rascality.

He noted that although “there is a provision for immunity for a sitting governor, there must also be a limit on the activities of a leader.”

In his words: “There are 36 states in the federation and out of these states, only one governor has courage to write to a foreign authority, urging it to refuse funds to its federal government.

“To my mind, such action is really reprehensible and should be discouraged.

“There is no problem with being an opposition, but If you want to be an opposition, you conduct such opposition in a reasonable manner,” he said.

Adetunji urged Nigerians to show support for the incumbent government in a bid to promote development.

“We must be careful as Nigerians for whatever we do today will be recorded as our history tomorrow.”

Mr Spurgeon Ataene, a lawyer, said: “If the loan being sought by the Federal Government is for the purpose of revamping the battered economy, then we should not have a problem with that.

“The only thing we should demand from the government is that the loan should be used for the purpose for which it is obtained in the first place.

“To that extent, all Nigerians must be watchdogs and at all times demand that the benefit of the 2 billion dollar loan must trickle down to the masses.

“Another lawyer, Mr Ola Ogunbiyi, said Fayose’s action fell short of the status of his exalted office.

“Fayose is a ‘security risk’ working against national interest, I think he has too much freedom and should be cautioned all because we are in a democratic rule.

“What he said was wrong, we all know the loan is for our economic growth, for him to have written a letter to another country is wrong.

“The picture he tried to paint is that there is no unity, we have no united front by going to counter the action of the president.

“We all know the President is trying to pave way for the citizenry to have a good business relationship with other countries, but we can see Fayose blackmailing not only the government but the nation as a whole.”

Source: NAN

Tags: 2016 Budgetayodele fayoseletter to China govtNigeriaPresident BuhariPresident Buhari Administration
SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Russian missile strikes on Kyiv Ukraine
World News

One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

by ReportersAtLarge
May 24, 2026
0

One person has been killed following a wave of Russian missile strikes on Kyiv that damaged schools and homes. The...

Read moreDetails
UK Visa - UK Home Office National Statistics
News

UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

by ReportersAtLarge
May 23, 2026
0

New Home Office immigration data shows UK student visa rejections have hit a decade high. The sharp rise matches a...

Read moreDetails
President of the United States of America, Donald Trump on US Green Card application rules
World News

New US Green Card Application Rules Force Migrants To Go Home

by ReportersAtLarge
May 22, 2026
0

The US has altered its Green Card application rules under a new Trump immigration policy. These legal immigration changes mean...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Africa Tourism Leadership Awards 2023 - ATLF 2023

More Global Travel, Tourism Thought-Leaders Join ATLF 2023

3 years ago
Organised Labour insists on Living Wage Minimum Wage

Minimum Wage: NLC Counters Tinubu On Claims Of Agreement, Insists On N250,000

2 years ago

Popular News

  • Ayo Oritsejafor cancer battle

    Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On Battle With Cancer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo PDP Gubernatorial Primary A Joke – Kayode Ogunsola

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On Battle With Cancer May 24, 2026
  • Oyo PDP Gubernatorial Primary A Joke – Kayode Ogunsola May 24, 2026
  • One Dead, Many Injured As Russian Missile Strikes On Kyiv May 24, 2026
  • UK Student Visa Rejections Soar As Applications Drop May 23, 2026
  • Invest In Africa Trade Expo Holds May 28 – 30 In Namibia May 23, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights