• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

House Telecoms Committee Rejects Communications Ministry’s Budget Presentation

by ReportersAtLarge
January 16, 2018
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Adebayo Shittu

Barrister Adebayo Shittu

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

…Says Documents Presented Full Of Errors, Calls For Corrected Version

THE House of Representatives Committee on Telecommunications on Tuesday took a swipe at the Ministry of Communications for its inefficiency in the preparation of the documents on the Ministry’s 2017 Budget performance and 2018 budget projection.

The Committee, which was on an oversight visit to the Ministry declined further discussions on the presentation after some of its members discovered many irregularities in figures quoted in the scanty documents meant to explain the performance of last year’s budget as well as the 2018 budgetary projections.

ADVERTISEMENT

After the Minister, Barrister Adebayo Shittu, made his presentation, a member of the Committee, Hon. Anayo Edward, faulted his claim that the 2018 revenue projection of One Billion, Three Hundred Million Naira (N1,300,000,000) doubled the revenue projection in the preceding year which was Six Hundred Million Naira (N600,000,000).

The minister had said that “it is projected that revenue generation from sale of forms, spectrum licenses and renewal fees and other sources in 2018 would rise to about N1,300,000,000 (One Billion Three Hundred Million Naira), twice the size of last year because of the envisaged installation of Radio Monitoring Equippment.”

Hon. Anayo said it was wrong to say the 2018 revenue projection doubled that of 2017 because the difference between the two figures is more than half. He said such assertion is misleading.

RelatedPosts

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

Another member, Hon Abiodun Awoleye, pointed out lack of correlation in figures on pages of a document served members while he also criticized non-clarity of some of the figures quoted.

Hon. Kehinde Odeneye queried the ministry for not stating the status of the Rural Telephone Project for which money was appropriated in last year’s budget, adding that the minister did not specify where the projects are located and if they are working.

Two other members were not comfortable with irregularities in figures quoted on pages of another document presented.

Hon Anayo asked the chairman to discontinue the presentation because it is against parliamentary procedure to work on an incorrect or uncompleted document because doing so will be efforts in futility.

He urged his colleagues to reject the plea by the Committee chairman, Hon. Saheed Fijabi, that the Minister should be given the chance to answer questions raised by members.

Hon. Awoleye who specifically pointed that this would not be the first time the Ministry will be making an un-coordinated presentation and submitting incorrect documents to the Committee added that it would be wrong for the Committee to entertain further comments on the presentation. Rather, he supported the suggestion by Hon. Anayo that the Ministry make a re-presentation.

On his own part, Hon. Odeneye said it is amazing that in a few pages documents, almost ten errors were detected. He said it is wrong for members to be making corrections on the document, rather, he said the ministry should correct the documents and re-present them during budget defence at the National Assembly.

Apparently arm-strung by his members’ decisions, the chairman, Hon. Fijabi succumbed to members request for a re-presentation. He said, “I think there would not be any room for the discussion of the document based on irregularities discovered. Like my members have said, I think the ministry has to correct the documents and present it again during the budget defence.

“ As I said earlier, our visit is a basic parliamentary one in furtherance of our duty to look into the books of the ministry. We are here to perform our duty, nobody is here to witch hunt anybody”, he stated.

Admitting the errors and taking full responsibility for the irregularities, Barr. Shittu on behalf of the ministry apologized to the House Committee, saying that there was no justification for the inefficiency.

The minister said, “I want to apologise on behalf of the Ministry. I want to take full responsibility for this mistakes and want to assure you that we will put our house in order.

“I want to assure you that before the end of this week, we must have made necessary corrections present a correct document to the office of the Committee chairman”, he promised.

Earlier in his welcome address, the minister said though the ministry initially has differences with the Committee, a cordial working relationship has since existed between the two, while he promised that the ministry under his watch will not compromise in complementing the effort of the Buhari administration to protect the interests of Nigerians.

Tags: 2018 BudgetAdebayo ShittuSenateTelecom
SendShare1TweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

Bola Ahmed Tinubu addressing a political coalition meeting in Nigeria - Tinubu Presidency
Opinion

The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

by ReportersAtLarge
May 17, 2026
0

The Bola Tinubu presidency now faces its most isolating challenge as historic Nigerian economic reforms test public patience. This analysis...

Read moreDetails
Port Harcourt Refinery - Nigeria refinery rehabilitation - Nigeria Refinery Crisis
Opinion

Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

by ReportersAtLarge
May 16, 2026
0

The ongoing Nigeria refinery crisis highlights a painful era of policy hesitation that compromised domestic refining self-sufficiency. This deep-dive exposes...

Read moreDetails
Major General Hakeem Otiki
News

Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

by ReportersAtLarge
May 16, 2026
0

The General Hakeem Otiki Supreme Court judgment has officially ended the controversial Nigerian Army appeal. The historic ruling permanently throws...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Yahoo CEO

Yahoo To Be Named Altaba, CEO To Step Down

9 years ago
Seyi Makinde and Demola Babalola

Oyo Guber: NUJ Congratulates Makinde, Charges Him On Continued People-Oriented Projects, Policies

3 years ago

Popular News

  • Adedeji Dhikrullahi Olajide Odidiomo - Oyo South senatorial race

    Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • WHO Declares DR Congo Ebola Outbreak International Emergency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Olajide Declares For Oyo South Senatorial Race Under APM May 18, 2026
  • WHO Declares DR Congo Ebola Outbreak International Emergency May 17, 2026
  • The Tinubu Enigma: Tinubu Presidency And The Lonely Burden Of Power, Legacy May 17, 2026
  • Nigeria Refinery Crisis: The Policy Lies Of A Lost Decade May 16, 2026
  • Supreme Court Clears General Hakeem Otiki, Full Military Honours Restored May 16, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights