By Zackarys Gundu
Fulani feudalism is real and it is why we cannot reason same way. What Islam means to Fulani is ‘occupation and usurpation of the conquered by fulani oligarchy kingdom’. But what Islam means to others is Religion.
Below are forty facts you might not know about the Fulani people:
1. Fulani empire is the Muslim theocracy of the Western Sudan that flourished in the 19th century.
2. The Fulani are a people of obscure origins, expanded eastward from Futa Toro in Lower Senegal in the 14th century.
3. By the 16th century they had established themselves at Macina (upstream from the Niger Bend) and were proceeding eastward into Hausaland.
4. Some Fulani settled in the 19th century at Adamawa (in the northern Cameroons).
5. Many of the Fulani continued to pursue a pastoral life; some, however, particularly in Hausaland, gave up their nomadic pursuits, settled into existing urban communities, and were converted to Islām.
6. The Fulani must lead the prayer over Hausa or any other tribe.
7. Fulani must be respected anywhere as the Shehu even among the blind in Lagos or Bornu or Kano.
8. Till date, the Fulani may take the sons of Hausa, castrate them and use them as domestic guard over his harem of women. No Nigerian Press has ever inquired into this.
9. Till date, it is sacrilege for Hausa to raise his voice over or against a Fulani man.
10. Hausa man’s luck in anything must come from Fulani. Else, he is a slave forever!.
11. Every Fulani is encouraged to speak also Hausa, but Hausas hardly learn Fulfude.
12. Till date, Fulani claim the right to belong or rule any Northern State or territory.
13.. Till date, Hausa has no right to own land only as a tenant of the local chief. He must pay rents in form of produce every year!
14. All Emirs are Fulani. Most Governors and Senators in Hausa populated territories are Fulani. Most ministerial and juicy appointments under the current government are systematically handed to people of Fulani extraction, who are residing in different states in the North. Fulani would rather support Igbo or Yoruba for the office of President for fear of Hausa rising to position of power and influence that will alter the status quo.
15. Before the conquest, Hausas were never Muslims. They had their cultures and traditions like us. But now, it must be forgotten mostly.
16. Those who chose to stay in the South most early are mostly Hausas, but a Fulani would soon come and colonize them as “Leader” or Shehu. So, they lose their freedom mostly.
17. Only few Hausas are able to escape totally and blend into other tribes through marriage etc assuch, caste system is being run in Nigeria by Fulani against the Hausa.
18. When a Fulani starts a trade or business including transportation, wholesale of goods etc, all his employees are mostly Hausa who are regarded as slaves and dare not steal or refuse to labour cheaply. It is a sacrilege for an Hausa to rise against him in competition.
19. If Fulani perpetrates gargantuan political crimes over you, and you shout Hausa? or at best Hausa/Fulani. It pleases them because that’s the name they coined to mask who they are.
20. Religion as far as Fulani is concerned is a political tool of oligarchic and political control.
21. Fulani tool of oligarchy is rife.
•Gundu is a Professor of Archaeology, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, taking Nigerians through facts and authentic history.