• About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Contact
Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Reporters At Large
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Reporters At Large
No Result
View All Result
Home News

BREAKING: INEC Serves Melaye Recall Notice

by ReportersAtLarge
September 26, 2017
in News, Featured
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
dino melaye

Senator Dino Melaye

Share on WhatsappShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linkedin

THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has served Senator Dino Melaye with recall notice at his office at the Senate wing of National Assembly.

Sen. Dino Melaye on Monday, denied claims that he was evading the service of petition and timetable for his recall from the Senate, by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

ADVERTISEMENT

Melaye made this known while briefing newsmen in Abuja on Monday.

The senator, who represents Kogi West Senatorial District, is facing a recall by his constituents who in a petition on June 23, 2017, called on INEC to recall him.

He was accused of poor of representation of the constituency at the Senate. But, Melaye told newsmen that accepting any “purported’’ petition from INEC would amount to breaching the 1999 Constitution (Amended).

RelatedPosts

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

According to him, the window provided by the Constitution for the service of recall petition had elapsed and I would not be seen to be breaching the law. “It is clear that by the provisions of Section 69(b) of the 1999 Constitution, INEC must act on the petition purportedly presented to it on June 23, 2017 by conducting a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition.

“The 90 days period as provided for in the Constitution for conducting the referendum after our verification, elapsed on Sept. 23, 2017.

“The time having elapsed, I cannot under the circumstance, aid and abet INEC to further infringe on the provisions of the Constitution, which I have sworn to defend,’’ he said.

The lawmaker pointed out that his position on the matter had been affirmed by various Supreme Court decisions. He cited the case of Nyako v. Adamawa State House of Assembly and others (2016) and All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) v. Alhaji Mohammed Goni and others. He said that from the apex court’s decision, the Constitution could not be amended by “mere’’ pronouncement of a court of law. Melaye added that it was only right to respect the provision of the Constitution.

“The trial judge failed to respect that provision of the Constitution when he elongated 90 days provided for, saying the process was paused when the interim order for maintenance of status quo was granted.

“I am not evading the service of any purported petition on me by INEC.

“As a matter of fact, my lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, served INEC a notice to produce the said petition in the course of hearing of this matter but INEC failed to produce the petition in court.

“I have also instructed my lawyer to challenge the jurisdiction of the trial court to entertain an ex parte application for the service on me.

“In view of the lapse of time, I shall no longer be in a haste to take any further step in this matter so as not to aid any party, especially INEC in breaching the Constitution,’’ he said.

Melaye said that having asked his lawyer to file appeal against the judgment by the court, he was aware that the matter was sub-judice.

He added that it was in view of that that he chose to speak only on the “socio-political aspect’’ of the matter.

Tags: Dino MelayeINECKogi StateSenate
SendShareTweetShare
ReportersAtLarge

ReportersAtLarge

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

More

New JAMB Registrar Professor Segun Aina
News

Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

by ReportersAtLarge
May 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has named a new JAMB Registrar to succeed Professor Is-haq Oloyede. The historic JAMB appointment of Professor...

Read moreDetails
Governor Seyi Makinde signing the 2026 Oyo State Security Regulation law executive order.
News

Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

Governor Seyi Makinde has signed a historic executive order establishing strict Oyo State security regulation for all local defense units....

Read moreDetails
Archbishop Bishop Aladekugbe on Oyo State School Abduction
News

Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction

by ReportersAtLarge
May 20, 2026
0

The recent Oyo State school abduction in Oriire has triggered mass condemnation from religious leaders. Archbishop Aladekugbe has warned politicians...

Read moreDetails
Load More

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended

Senator Balogun

Senator Balogun Reveals Cause Of Increasing Social Vices In Nigeria -Senator Balogun

4 years ago
Seyi Makinde Oyo State Governor and leaders

Makinde: Making Legends Of Leaders

2 years ago

Popular News

  • Bashorun Akinwale Akinwole - Wolekanle on Oriire banditry attack

    Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo School Kidnapping: Hon Olajide Demands Digital Security Technology To Crush Criminal Networks

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

ADVERTISEMENT

About Us

Reporters At Large is the world’s fastest-growing online news platform and public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programmes and content which inform, educate and entertain millions of people in Nigeria and around the world.

With a high level of professionalism, fairness, objectivity, accuracy and speed, we publish Breaking News Nigeria Today Headlines and International news on Politics, Tourism and Travel, Entertainment, Sports, Business Lifestyle and Sports.

Category

  • Auto Trend
  • Breaking Bones
  • Business
  • Columns
  • Entertainment
  • Featured
  • For The Record
  • Health
  • Innovation
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Opinion
  • People & Events
  • Politics
  • Press Releases
  • Science & Technology
  • Sponsored
  • Sport
  • Tourism & Culture
  • Video
  • Video News
  • World News

Recent Posts

  • Wolekanle Postpones Birthday Over Oriire Banditry Attack May 21, 2026
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Prof Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar May 21, 2026
  • Makinde Signs Executive Order On Oyo State Security Regulation May 20, 2026
  • Bishop Aladekugbe Warns Politicians Against Exploiting Oyo State School Abduction May 20, 2026
  • Oyo NUJ Chairman Awards Prizes At The Polytechnic Ibadan May 20, 2026
May 2026
S M T W T F S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr    
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
  • RAL TV
  • More

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • World
    • For The Record
    • Metro
    • Opinion
    • Press Releases
  • Business
    • Auto Trend
  • Politics
  • Tourism
  • Lifestyle
    • People & Events
    • Health
  • RAL TV
    • Video
    • Video News
  • More
    • Advertisement
    • Privacy
    • Disclaimer
    • Contact Us

© 2016-2026 RAL - Guided by professionalism

Verified by MonsterInsights